What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Litre Nepenthes Hydroponics

Yea +1 to everything that pineapple said. Timers don't mean squat, I got the simplest and cheapest ones I could find (at home depot) and they work wonders for my HL setup where I grow heliamphora and nepenthes.

Sorry about being rude, it's just- and this might be hereditary, my mom does exactly the same thing- i spend hours a day looking up carnivorous plants, i find out my plants need little humidity, i buy no terrarium, i find out "little" for CPs is 50-70%, i bug my parents, when i then get into fights about not doing my research, and it gets frustrating. I reload this thread every few minutes im on to see if anyone commented, and, at this moment, i am looking for the largest aquarium to match my 23"x 13" desk space, so i can grow ALL the CPs succesfully as i can, which is the point of this entire website. Thank you everyone who has commented, I'm grateful for your support.

First of all, it doesn't matter. I have a $20 digital timer that works just as well as my dial timer. It REALLY doesn't matter at all. Just go to a hardware store and get the cheapest one.

Secondly, you are coming across rather rudely. I'm not sure if its intentional. Please don't take this in the wrong way, but everyone that has posted here has tried to help, and those that gave up on helping probably did so because of the way you are commanding them to give you the answer you want to hear. As I said, I'm not trying to make you feel bad about it, but it's a good thing to treat everyone nicely, especially the people who have been helping your for eight pages.

+1 to that.

:headwall:
First of all, repeatedly asking random questions like this is not the best way to learn things!

And for those of you who are on the receiving end of rudeness,
I can only say you have allowed yourself to get caught up in something
that is not at all what you think it is!

This is not about providing the right answer!
It is about finding your answer unhelpful or wrong, or haven't you noticed yet!

If you bother to look, a lot has been revealed showing an overall general lack of respect for others & their time, efforts & help, by the comment:
it would make my buisness so much easier and it would only take a minute on your part
. :lac:

How nice!

7c12f31f-11bc-498c-a551-85c535715458.jpg

That's all I can comment at the moment :)

remember... the search bar in this forum AND google search works wonders.

I think you guys are being a little too sensitive

this thread started asking for a way to water his plant while he's gone and now its gone to setting up an entire terrarium. just put the darnn thing in a tray of water until you're back. sheeesh... you're making it way more complicated than it needs to be

I'm not going to read through the whole of this thread, but the system you are referring to in the first post is called hydroculture, or passive hydroponics. This website has some information on this: http://hydro-culture.net/

The pop/soda bottle method has been used before and is explained here: http://www.insideurbangreen.org/recycled-popsoda-bottles/

I have personally tried hydroculture using LECA as the growing medium and N. ventrata as the plant and it failed. Sphagnum might get a little too wet, but you could try using LECA below the Sphagnum and only have the LECA in water so that the Sphagnum wicks from it, rather than the Sphagnum sitting directly in water.

Good news everyone! a pitcher my robcantleyi was developing started coloring up a bit, my t5 lighting system i ordered came, and my ventricosa arrived in the mail a few days ago. All in all, good on good on good.

Congratulations!

does anyone know how high humidity robcantleyi likes? ive seen people say windowsill level to 90%+, any suggestions on what to try first? I'm confused by all of this... to much conflicting yet correct information

mine is producing pitchers at my room humidity,this ranges from 45 to 60 at temps of 55 to 70 i find it needs no high humidity ,i find this a good thing as i would rather grow out of a terrarium if possible

My room doesn't change temperature alot, could this become a problem?

My room doesn't change temperature alot, could this become a problem?

Yes. Highlanders need at least a 10 degree temperature change from day to night. It would be best at 80F day and 55F night. Not sure about robcanteloupenelly, but give it the conditions it likes and keep the humidity as high as possible.

gotto disagree i don't see the point in high humidity if its not required,just asking for fungus ,and once the plant is used to high humidity it will depend on it,i am trying to get my plants used to lower humidity as this is easier to maintain,my small neps are in high humidity and i move them into lower humidity as they get larger,partly due to not having enough room in the terrarium,this seems to make sense to me but i suppose time will tell

Well, here is a picture of my new setup. The humidity is at 40% and rising, and the temperature is about 70 f.
a>

Looks good, I'm glad you could use everyone's advice to put something together! If you want higher humidity, you might put shallow water in the tank (doesnt have to be distilled as long as it doesnt reach the pots). You could also put in some moist LFS.

What you should do is mist the tank, then cover it with saran wrap and put the light on top. The humidity will be at like 90% in less than an hour! :-D

Well, i put a removable cover over the lights to keep in humidity, it's holding stable at 70% and 80 f, and i put aluminium foil on the outside to reflect light back in, the underside of my top-cover is aluminium.
a>

Is this good for my ventricosa and robcantleyi?

Back