Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Litre Nepenthes Hydroponics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Litre Nepenthes Hydroponics

Well, i've been staring at a 2 liter soda bottle, sitting next to my royal truncata (i'm ashamed to say the little baby is my only nep) and, thinking about the fact that my parents said they might let me get a ventricosa, i thought i might be able to make a long-term impromptu (if that's not an oxi-moron) pseudo hydroponics setup suitable for nepenthes.
    Here's my plan;

the NZ sphagnum (New Zealand for those who don't know) wicks water very well, so it will get to the plant, at the top. Can someone Knowledgeable tell me if this will work? I dont want anything dead.
    Ive heard that plastic is good for carnivorous plants, but will a 2 liter soda bottle be okay?
    I'm pretty new to carnivorous plants; i've been at it for over a year, but all ive got are sad memories of two dead neps, a gifted-away VFT, a light-deprived truncata, and more hopes than are necessary.
    (okay, i get it, i'm 13)

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

sorry about the horrible drawing, i am bad with MS paint, don't have a camera, and forgot to move the picture to the left.
    If Swiss Cheese has holes, and more holes=less cheese, and more cheese=more holes, does that mean that more cheese=less cheese?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tbh.. you dont need anything special for robcantleyi or ventricosa, they are both very easy plants. Also, might I say, you have very good grammar for 13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you, i'm a bit of a grammar communist (i'm Jewish) and it's been calculated that my intelligence is equal to that of a 19 1/2 year old. It's true.
    Back to business, however; i go on trips more often than i like due to having a family, and a good simple hydroponics system could help me greatly. i wanted to know if this kind of a system would be healthy for something like a ventricosa because it might keep the soil too wet, and i also know that some plants need a daily wet/dry cycling to keep the roots healthy. if the NZ sphagnum has some quality that makes it unsuitable for the capillary action required by wick hydroponics, or is simply a bad media for this kind of a setup, than i would like to know.
    If Swiss Cheese has holes, and more holes=less cheese, and more cheese=more holes, does that mean that more cheese=less cheese?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A small water pump might come in use for this to circulate the water from the bottom of a reservoir to the top of the medium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple things to consider. Both of the neps will quickly outgrow this setup and will create very delicate plants. Once they become acclimated to this setup, if they are suddenly removed, they may decline very quickly. Basically the same thing as getting a plant fresh out of tissue culture, except the larger plants would have a better chance of survival. Also, consider the fact that you are also making an ideal habitat for mold and fungus to grow. You would be better off longer term, to just buy a cheap 10 gallon aquarium, they cost around 15 bucks, and a set it up with some live sphagnum to keep a constant humidity.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both valid points, except i don't have and cannot acquire a water pump, and the point of this setup is to grow a smaller plant that can't go a week without water so i can take a trip and not constantly fidget over the health of my plant. I ordered a 3-6 inch N. ventricosa form California Carnivores which i want to raise to about 7/8 inches before i transplant to a nice orchid pot that my Mom had. Also, the algae problem can be averted by covering the bottom of the outside with black duct tape, making it difficult to obtain sunlight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why you can't purchase a cheap $10 pump & do a simple set-up auto-water system....
    but then I don't understand why you say you are 13 here & your profile claims you are 23!

Ah, the mysteries of it all!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's not the cost of the pump, it's the buying it itself, and i might have made a typo, 1988 and 1998 look similar to me. I could just harvest a small pump from something, but i don't think anyone would like that. besides, what would a pump acomplish over a wick system?

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast