Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing Nep Seeds

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    there is no set length IMO. I generally use the stuff at the bottom of a bag of LFS>..its powdery. If not, I just use a scissors and I chop up some sphagnum moss. So you end up with a heterogenous particle size ranging from small thick strands to powder.
    Some is powder I guess... I just don't want to like germinate a billion seeds just to kill them when I remove them from the sphagnum lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To mill sphagnum, I rub it across a tennis racket while it is dry, that tends to break it up into tiny little pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    To mill sphagnum, I rub it across a tennis racket while it is dry, that tends to break it up into tiny little pieces.
    I already moistened it because I read on another board that getting it ready ahead of time gets bacteria going in the soil and such... Not sure if it was true, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try. Will rubbing it across the racket while wet work?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably not as well....but.. regarding seperating seedlings....I personally leave seedlings in their original possition for many many many months before separating them. Afterwards....it isn't really an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    probably not as well....but.. regarding seperating seedlings....I personally leave seedlings in their original possition for many many many months before separating them. Afterwards....it isn't really an issue.
    I'm not planning to separate them unit they are growing over each other. It's a 7.5g glass tank so it saves a lot of space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2" deep bed of chopped, low-quality sphagnum. Large particles range from about 1/8" to 1/2". The small particles (too small to accurately measure) make up about 50% of the mix, but you can't see any in the picture provided. Is this sufficient as far as substrate and container?

Right now, I'm working on the temperature/humidity aspect right now. I'm going to cover all walls of the tank with foil, except for the front wall for viewing. That will reflect light back into the tank to heat it up more. What humidity/temperature is ideal for germinating nepenthes seeds? I'm going to keep it as hot as possible, but it will probably end up around 80 day and 65 night. Is 90% humidity sufficient, or shall I go even higher? I don't want mold to grow. My nep terrarium stays around 85% to 95% 24/7 with no mold. As long as there is no mold growing, can I keep the humidity as high as possible? How wet should the substrate be?

I'm really stressing out because the seeds should arrive within the next week if the seller is true to what they wrote as a definite in the shipping description. I basically have nothing done, other than having 2" of mildly chopped sphagnum in a glass fish tank without heating or humidity worked out yet. Gaaahhhh!!! Also, some of the seeds said they were collected from as far back as the beginning of January. Will the seeds still be viable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've developed to perfect habitat for germinating seeds...

Not sure what the wattage is on the aquarium light, but it warms up a lot. It keeps it around 75F at the hottest. After I added the desk lamp, the temperature shot up to 85F, which is exactly where I wanted it. Lowland conditions, but just for germination. After they get big (5-6cm) I will move them to their "natural" conditions.

Daytime Temperature: 85F

Nighttime Temperature: 60-65

Humidity: 80%

I'll keep you guys updated on how this goes. I think the seeds should get here soon! Super excited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you get your humidity to 80%.

I have been working on a setup and i cant get the humidity up. When I turn on my lights the temperature goes up and humidity goes down

could something like this be used to up the humidity http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230686779...84.m1423.l2649
    Last edited by Archer15; 02-10-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast