Thread: Growing Nep Seeds

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer15 View Post
    How do you get your humidity to 80%.

I have been working on a setup and i cant get the humidity up. When I turn on my lights the temperature goes up and humidity goes down

could something like this be used to up the humidity http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230686779...84.m1423.l2649
    Get a mist bottle and fill it with distilled water. Spray all over the tank with it until the humidity is where you want it. If the terrarium is open-top, you won't be able to maintain high humidity. Both of my terrariums are sealed off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Both of my terrariums are sealed off.
    But....you are providing air movement inside the enclosure, right?? You want to grow Nepenthes seedlings, not a parade of fungi.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I'm really stressing out because the seeds should arrive within the next week if the seller is true to what they wrote as a definite in the shipping description. I basically have nothing done, other than having 2" of mildly chopped sphagnum in a glass fish tank without heating or humidity worked out yet. Gaaahhhh!!! Also, some of the seeds said they were collected from as far back as the beginning of January. Will the seeds still be viable?
    Stress and horticulture make really poor bedfellows ;-)
    Seeds shipped by postal mail from Indonesia (and similar) take three to five weeks, believe it or not. Relax, you will get at least 10% germination if you do it right. I got nearly 90% germination with a batch of N. bongso seeds from ****************, and those took nearly six weeks to arrive.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whim,
    I tried searching your posts and failed to find it if you've posted this already....but what method do oyu use for germinating your seeds?
    I've been getting mixed results with my current method of chopped LFS in deli containers with holes in em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    But....you are providing air movement inside the enclosure, right?? You want to grow Nepenthes seedlings, not a parade of fungi.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Stress and horticulture make really poor bedfellows ;-)
    Seeds shipped by postal mail from Indonesia (and similar) take three to five weeks, believe it or not. Relax, you will get at least 10% germination if you do it right. I got nearly 90% germination with a batch of N. bongso seeds from ****************, and those took nearly six weeks to arrive.
    How do you suggest I keep airflow up as well as heat? Would putting an aerator inside the tank to move the air around work? What about just opening the hood for 30 minutes after the lights go off to let it cool off and get some good air flow. I could mist it during that period to prevent humidity loss. Would that work?

You mentioned I would get at least 10% germination if done correctly, which is what I was actually shooting for. What would you change about my current setup to meet the "done correctly" requirements? I want as many of these guys as possible to germinate.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pineapple,
    Just my $.02, but airflow is very important because in high humidity, warm conditions, mold has a prime opportunity to grow if the conditions are stagnant. I keep mine warm/with good airflow by using a seedling heating mat to keep it warm while a fan in my grow rack keeps air moving about at a decent enough rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my lights on I'm getting around 90F in my tank i wanted to sprout Nep seeds. will this be too hot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer15 View Post
    With my lights on I'm getting around 90F in my tank i wanted to sprout Nep seeds. will this be too hot?
    It depends what kind of seeds. I'm sure that ultra highlanders won't appreciate it, but some like to germinate most of their highlanders in lowland conditions, so 85-90 degrees would hit the nail on the heat. It needs to drop to around 60 at night though. Some seeds require a huge shift in day/night temperatures to "activate" them so they can germinate. I think 85 or so would be a preferable daytime temperature, while 60 would be a good nightime temperature. Just my opinion based on what I've read, I've never done this before lol. I've only been keeping neps for two months. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, I just got some ebay nep seeds in today (Ordered 1/27). I don't really have a way to keep them nice and warm, so I'm just sorta hoping that they'll decide to sprout anyway. The pot is sitting in a ziplock bag on my desk under my lamp (my room tends to get dry). Anything else I could do besides wait now?

Good luck to all your seeds :3