What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Nep Seeds

No! Under the lamp will be extremely dry! Cover the pot they are planted in with a ziplock bag and tie it at the bottom so it holds all the moisture in. Then put it under the lamp. It will warm up a lot and it will keep the humidity high.

Who did your order from and when did you order?

If dry sphagnum is moist (seedling moist), will it catch on fire if it gets too hot? I see it can get nearly 85F inside the terrarium after the lights have been on for three hours, and the chopped sphag has a hot light pointed directly at it. It will definitely keep the seeds warm, but if the sphagnum is pretty moist/wet, there should be no issues with fire, right? ???

I think the ignition temperature of sphagnum is much higher than any bulb produces unless maybe directly on the bulb. First it would also have to dry the sphagnum.

You're quite safe with how it is.

I think the ignition temperature of sphagnum is much higher than any bulb produces unless maybe directly on the bulb. First it would also have to dry the sphagnum.

You're quite safe with how it is.

Great. Then I guess I'll go get a time and get read for my seeds to come! I think the seller said that it takes 1-5 days to process the order and 19-25 days after that to receive the item. He said the payment was received on the 29th of January, so that means it should come on the 27th of February at the latest, and the 18th at the earliest.

Still don't have any way of air circulation... I guess that's only to prevent mold. I'm not seeing any mold growing as of now, and it's been going for quite a while. Should I microwave the sphagnum to sterilize it? How long should I microwave it?

The N. adrianii never made it... Wasn't removed from the package, so I think I was either cheated or the dude made an honest mistake... ???

vrzwbn.jpg

My dividers made from a cutting board...

idgcix.jpg

The size of nep seeds (all from one pod of N. ramispina) compared to my finger...

20ff12h.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the individual seeds. You can see them best in the third section from the right -- the section for N. gymnamphora.

hsm7t3.jpg

All ready for germination!

apoo4.jpg

The different kinds of seeds were labeled and they include sowing date (today, 2/22/12) and they will be labeled again when they germinate. :)

Congrats and good luck on germination:).

Gymnamphora is sprouting!

And the ramispina side grew a bit of mold, so I took that clump out. :)

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

One ramispina and one tentaculata has germinated as well!! :)

Still no glabrata. ???

Pineapple, great to see results so fast! I sowed 6 types of seed in a setup similar to yours (less light) about 5 days ago. If all goes well, I'll pose pictures of my setup once germination starts!

WOW!! That's extremely fast. :O

Congratulations on the sprouts!

Gymnamphora...
j9915z.jpg

Tentaculata...
r9ra0g.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Just looking at the top picture... It looks like theres a grayish sprout on a seed about 1/3 of the way over at the very top. Perhaps that will grow into a green sprout?

Can't really tell alot from the photo but they don't look right for Nepenthes sprouts. Fastest I have had some lowland seed sprout after a few weeks and highland a month to 2 months. But 9 days?? I doubt they are Nepenthes sprouts.

Edit: the grayish stuff is mold

Can't really tell alot from the photo but they don't look right for Nepenthes sprouts. Fastest I have had some lowland seed sprout after a few weeks and highland a month to 2 months. But 9 days?? I doubt they are Nepenthes sprouts.

Edit: the grayish stuff is mold

So what you mean to say is that I grew some mold and some weeds. :-))

Should I pluck them? ???

i'd wait it out....Tony does have a point about super uber fast germination time, but usually the first seeds that pop up for me are the crabgrass type plants. i'd wait out until i see the first couple of true leaves (you dont really have anything to lose), and if they dont look anything like nep, leaves tweezer them out. your photos are out of focus, but see if there's a nearby nep seed coat---that would help verify things.

Those look like grass or clover sprouts to me.

yeah
neps are moncots(1 seed leaf)
those are dicots(2)

Neps are dicots

Oh... Wait so they have two leaves? ???

The little sprouts weren't attached to seeds or anywhere near them, so I don't believe they were neps. I pulled them up to check. :blush:

Anyone got pics of freshly sprouted neps?

Back