What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginner Question:low land nep terrarium

I just got a couple of new Neps today and they are low land species. I am looking for tips on the best way to setup a terrarium for them. I have a 18 inch cube exoterra tank that I am going to be using right now and my though was to place the plants on a platform above a couple inches of water with an aquarium heater to increase the humitiy and temperature.

During the summer I should not have much problems keeping them warm but durning the winters here it gets just a bit to cold for them. If this idea sounds like it will work or if anyone has a better idea on a way to keep lowlander happy when the house temps dont get above 70 degrees I am all ears.

I grow all my lowlanders in a LL Greenhouse so Im not educated in terrarium growing for them but I do know that in the winter its completely fine if the lowlanders leaves shrink...etc so keeping them hot all the time isn't a requirement.

That should work fine James. I have all my lowlanders in a similar set up and they're thriving.

I have my highland neps in a 29g glass terrarium under a 20w+ T5 and a 20w+ T12 and it only heats up to 74-78 depending on how warm it is that day. I keep my house as 66-68 usually. During the day, I close the door to that room and turn the heat on so that it heats up the terrarium even more. That may be a tactic you want to use. I find that the terrarium cools off relatively quickly at night, which is perfect for my highlanders, but for lowlanders it may not be so good. If you are keeping them in there long-term, you may want to invest in an under tank heater for winter or something. I think highlanders like 80s-90s and 60s at night. Just my two cents.

that you to everyone that has responded. So far my hybrids have done great with the 62-70 degree temps in my garage and the 90%humidity but my attempt at one lowlander died in record time. So I am wanting to make a terrarium that is really setup for them.
I have a undertank heater in the aquarium and was thinking that while they are getting use to a new enviroment that I would try to push it to their happy place while I slowly get them more use to their future home.
I am a HUGH ampullaria fan and really want a pot full of basil pitcher and want to do my best to get one nice happy plant. I got anampullaria, madagascarensis and a hookerania today and all of them seem to be more lowlanders then intermediates. So I am really trying to get them happy and looking great.

I have a bunch of really nice sg Dark Red ampullarias that I'll be trading off once the weather warms up. Keep an eye out.

:-O I will be keeping an eye out. I have some great crabgrass and yard weeds to trade right now. Maybe in 6 months I might have some plants to trade.

I have a similar set up (24 x 24" exo-terra) and so far they're doing great. My under-tank heater didn't do too much, so I got a Hydrokable submersible cable heater with thermostat. I put some glass on the top and I'm able to keep it at 90F during the day and mid-70s at night (I manually lower the thermostat at night), and 90% humidity. I've only had the setup for a few months but they're all growing like weeds. I may partially remove the glass during summer to increase air circulation.

Pills,

Thanks I was hoping to hear from someone that has tried something similar and what their outcomes were. I might have to try this and then cycle them back this spring when it starts to warm up naturally.

Back