What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. lowii x truncata! Finally!

I had a little bit of extra money once i got some priorities taken care of, and could not pass up the chance when i saw this baby come available, it is an original lowii x truncata, the main vines had been removed some time ago by the previous owner, but the plant is still of rather considerable size! certainly had to do some rearranging around the grow area to make room for it...

DSC_0690-1.jpg

DSC_0689-1.jpg

DSC_0681-1.jpg

DSC_0680.jpg

a dried pitcher he sent in the box... its huge! i know it gets bigger but wow
DSC_0693.jpg

and while im at it...
N. lowii x truncata Wide Peristome from EP showing some promise... and exudate lol
DSC_0685-1.jpg

DSC_0683-1.jpg

DSC_0682-1.jpg

So excited to finally have the original... Ive been waiting for years for this opportunity, so only naturally... I would be insanely excited...

Ah so your the one that got that one ;) ...congrats! The plant looks wonderful!!

Ahhhh so your the lucky one who got it, very, very nice!

Congratulations! Thats a beautiful plant.

Congrats on the new plant! Its beautiful! I like how everybody is saying/thinking the same thing about you being the one who got the plant :D lol

Lol thanks guys, yeah I am the lucky one alright, though this thing will be big enough to eat my kids before too long... Ive already seen how big this plant was before he cut it back haha... It's still some 20" or so larger in diameter...

Lordy lordy! Really incredible plant, should be pretty crazy once it gets bigger!

it will be crazy when it gets bigger! ive seen the traps from this plant before he cut it back! the traps were enormous.... look up posts involving a user named Lazarus and N. lowii x truncata on google and you should find some...

That's one hell of a score man! :)

I'd love to have bought that thing but I have no where large enough to keep it currently. Are the leaves truncata shaped?

Is it HL or LL or Intermediate?

Hey swords, the leaves are very much like a truncata with a bit more length to them
DSC_0691-1.jpg

Here is my smaller lowii x truncata, this one is the wide peristome cross but the leaves are similar, albeit a much more scaled down version right now... Though a fast grower in comparison to either of it's parents, this plant went from a 3" plant on arrival to what you see now in less than a year... Around 10 months actually.
DSC_0692-1.jpg

In regards to their growth preference for temps, i would assume intermediate or H/L

Thanks! That is an interesting leaf shape between the two. Nice it grows faster than either parent too - both being such slow pokes.

Those huge pitchers Lazarus showed were really amazing did he say how big they were? Also, does he know the sex of your plant?

No he does not know the sex sadly since it never flowered before he cut it back... I think I saw him post somewhere at some time saying the size of his largest trap, but I can't recall...

The inside of the pitcher is simply stunning!

Not sure what it was about his photography, but all the plants seem smaller than they appeared. After cutting away the dead traps and dead leaves from the truncata x veitchii, There wasn't much left other than 5 growth points.

I thought Id ask here is there any difference from Lowii X Truncata "Wide Peristome" other than a wide peristome? Would the color be the same beautiful artwork as an adult Lowii X truncata? Also, what about Lowii X Truncata "squat" ?

Then wide peristome and squat refer to the forms of truncata used, so I imagine they will look a bit different, but I won't know until my wide peristome cross gains more size, similar to my original cross...

That dried pitcher is incredible! I would put it in a display case if I were you. Very nice plant.

I have it sitting on top of my computer desk in my room haha.

Smaller than I thought from his pics on proboards, but still amazing. I didn't think I had room for any of the plants he had listed, so I never PM'd him. Kinda wish I had, now...

Well the pics he posted were prior to cutting it back, which is honestly fine by me since I'm sure i would have been fighting to find a place in my grow space, I'm sure I could have found one but still haha.

Back