User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N. densiflora x spectabilis Hates Me?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

Even since I started using MaxSea fertilizer, this guy has taken off! Put out a new leaf, started a pitcher quickly and another huge leaf is about to open up within a day or two.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear its doing well! If it ever starts to go downhill again, I highly recommend coffee treatment... the stuff works like pixy dust

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Good to hear its doing well! If it ever starts to go downhill again, I highly recommend coffee treatment... the stuff works like pixy dust
    I've read about fertilizing with coffee... I don't really drink coffee, so I have no clue how to make it. What kind of coffee works best for neps? How much do you dilute it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, glad to hear it's doing better.
    I'd like an anwer to this coffee question too. Step by step since I have never seen it explained just, "I use coffee" in posts. But I use decaf, does that make a difference? Right now I'm just curious about this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Sillly goose both jacquelineae and jamban are relatively fast growers when given good conditions. Just because something is a hybrid does not always mean that it will be more vigorous or easy. Take for instance muluensis x lowii, notoriously slow and finicky grower. .
    What Dex said, plus:
    Not every single individual is going to like your conditions. Although hybrids generally tolerate a wider range of conditions, some individuals won't appreciate your personal grow space and will sulk when first introduced, or fail to thrive, ever. This is to be expected. I have two clones of N. spathulata X boschiana, and one grows beautifully, producing pitcher after pitcher of great beauty, while the other makes lots of foliage but rarely pitchers, and when it does, they are of inferior quality and are small for the size of the plant. I get the impression that the sulky one just doesn't like something about my greenhouse, and its unlikely I'm going to be able to determine what that missing something is, so I will likely pass this plant on to someone with different growing conditions. No big deal.....some plants just don't like what you have to offer 'em. Some just take longer to acclimate to your space. Some never will. If, after growing a plant for a full year, it still sulks in your grow space, then its not likely to prosper in your conditions. Anything less than a year isn't giving the plant a proper adjustment period.

IMO, jumping on the fertilizer bandwagon isn't always the best "fix" for slower/sulking plants. You can push new acquisitions too much by doing this, risking fast, soft growth that is more prone to disease. Personally, I think it is best to allow at least three or four months of acclimation time before you start stuffing plants with nutrients. YMMV, of course.....this is just my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12