User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. densiflora x spectabilis Hates Me?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. densiflora x spectabilis Hates Me?

I purchased this N. densiflora x spectabilis just over a month ago and it doesn't seem to like me as much as all of my other neps. It has taken the entire time not to grow a leaf, but to open it... And it's not even 3/4 way done! It also just opened up it's first pitcher, which was already 2/3 formed, in my care, which is terribly slow compared to all of my other neps. The growth tip, now the tendril, on the new leaf is also black... Not sure if it's characteristic of the species or just dead. I'm just curious if this is a slow growing nep, if I'm not providing the correct conditions, or if I just got a dud specimen. Also, when I got it, it had three pitchers, all three old. One died off and the other two look perfectly fine, despite being a few months old. Not sure what the deal is... Maybe just a completely slow plant at everything?

Temperature: 64-68 (night) 74-78 (day)

Humidity: 80-90%

Lighting: 20w T5 12" above and & 20w T12 8" in front

Whole plant...

Newest pitcher...

If I'm doing something incorrectly, I want to be able to correct it. Soon, all of my neps will be moved outside into a greenhouse, which will be like 50F at night and 90F at the hottest point in the day (about 30 mins), but mid seventies to low eighties the rest of the time if it's sunny. Any tips?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant looks pretty healthy to me.

I've never grown or seen this cross but I've heard that spectabilis can be somewhat slower growing when young and densiflora is definitely a true highlander.

Some plants are just slow!

But if the growth point is truly dead... That is an issue.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    The plant looks pretty healthy to me.

I've never grown or seen this cross but I've heard that spectabilis can be somewhat slower growing when young and densiflora is definitely a true highlander.

Some plants are just slow!

But if the growth point is truly dead... That is an issue.
    Now that the new leaf has opened up, I can see the new growth point. It's very tiny, but from the looks, it is just as dark as the current one. Maybe it's a characteristic of this cross.

Hopefully it speeds up. My growing conditions aren't causing this, are they? I've fed the pitchers to naturally fertilize the plant... Would chemical fertilizer help? I am going to switch to MaxSea fertilizer on recommendation from an expert CP grower. It's weird how my other neps can form multiple large pitchers in less time than it took for that one dang leaf to open!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any experience with this plant in particular, however I have a talangensis that I bought back in June which just put out its third leaf in my care (and a tiny little pitcher) after not growing until December. Some plants just take their time it seems.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just give it some time. A month in the life of a Nepenthes is not very long.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    highlanders in general are slower growing than lowlanders. dont take it personally.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roxorboxor View Post
    I don't have any experience with this plant in particular, however I have a talangensis that I bought back in June which just put out its third leaf in my care (and a tiny little pitcher) after not growing until December. Some plants just take their time it seems.
    So I guess it just needs time to adjust since it's such a small plant? I guess I'll have to wait half a year and come back to it to see how it's doing then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I would just give it some time. A month in the life of a Nepenthes is not very long.
    True, but for comparison, my N. jacquelineae, which I got two weeks ago, has put out a new leaf and is about to put out another, plus it's developing two or three more pitchers in addition to the one it finished completely forming, opening and coloring in the short time I've had it. It just doesn't make sense that a plant that is supposedly easier to keep would grow ten times as slow.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    highlanders in general are slower growing than lowlanders. dont take it personally.
    All seven of my other highlanders are growing like weeds, especially compared to this densiflora x spectabilis. Not sure why it would be growing as slow as sphagnum, or maybe even slower!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post

True, but for comparison, my N. jacquelineae, which I got two weeks ago, has put out a new leaf and is about to put out another, plus it's developing two or three more pitchers in addition to the one it finished completely forming, opening and coloring in the short time I've had it. It just doesn't make sense that a plant that is supposedly easier to keep would grow ten times as slow.

All seven of my other highlanders are growing like weeds, especially compared to this densiflora x spectabilis. Not sure why it would be growing as slow as sphagnum, or maybe even slower!
    Sillly goose both jacquelineae and jamban are relatively fast growers when given good conditions. Just because something is a hybrid does not always mean that it will be more vigorous or easy. Take for instance muluensis x lowii, notoriously slow and finicky grower. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast