Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wild collected Nep seed purchase discussions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 04-07-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Closing accounts I dont use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree that there need to be some more US nurseries that try to produce their own rare plants instead of just importing from BE and others. Since so many people seem to be picking up on the Nepenthes hobby in the US.

I also hope that once the tiny little TC plants that everybody has grow up, there will be a flood of the seed of rare species. I hope.

I do like Nepenthes quite a bit, but have no personal interest in growing from seed, or having seed grown plants. I grow these plants for my own personal enjoyment and do not consider my collection to be any kind of "ark". I would much rather spend half the money and half the time on a TC clone if I am going to enjoy it just as much as a seedgrown.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the point of having hundreds of mini maxima seedlings? The grower either conveniently allow most to die, rather than passing them on to other growers because the form or species is rare or uncommon.
    So, one of your issues is that I might have extra seedlings that i'll kill instead of giving them away?!? You dont know me too well then. I have hundreds of "extra" sarracenia seedlings but I havent killed them or given them away and I wouldnt senselessly kill any extra nepenthes seed. I wouldnt think any grower would want any of my poached seedlings anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @dionae: I don't think Cindy was singling you out. Remember that she's been in this hobby way longer than the both of us, possibly even combined. She was just speaking from her own experience, and she's witnessed this event many times in the past.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 04-07-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Closing accounts I dont use

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    2. Were the Nepenthes seeds imported into U.S.A. legally?
    Maybe, depends on the importer. Seeds sent to the States using the seeds import permit should be just seeds. No petal, no fruit, no sepal and no debris. And each species of seeds must not exceed 50. Take a look at the pics posted by dionae. Obviously, the seeds together with the fruits were never checked by the relevant authorities.
    Since I'm preparing an article on Importing Plants and Seeds to the United States I'll add my two cents:

The Small Seed Lot program for importing seed into the US does not require a phytosanitary certificate from the exporter. The shipments must be 50 or less taxa and 50 or less seeds or grams of any one taxon. They must be free of all non-seed matter. Tuber and gemmae are not seed. Small Seed Lots require Permit PPQ 587.

Anything else requires a phytosanitary certificate, this includes plants, seeds, cuttings, tubers, gemmae, plant parts, pollen, and plants in-vitro in sterile media. Shipments of lots of 13 or more also require PPQ 587.

All shipments by mail with or without Permit 587 must be shipped to one of the 17 Animal and Plant Health Inspection/Plant Protection Quarantine stations. Anything that passes inspection will be forwarded to the importer.

Shipments arriving by freight or unaccompanied baggage require a customs broker to meet with APHIS/PPQ inspectors.

Failure to comply with any of these regulations is in violation of Code of Federal Regulations and United States Codes Title 7 (Agriculture) and/or Title 19 (Customs and Duty). Maximum fine for individuals is $250,000 and/or a maximum of 10 years imprisonment.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 04-07-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Closing accounts I dont use

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, this discussion really took off!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast