Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wild collected Nep seed purchase discussions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 04-07-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Closing accounts I dont use

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this same topic gets discussed it seems like every year or so at least once. I do feel it's really important to continue talking about and debating.

The two sides are essentially:

A.) Supporting the purchase of wild collected seed by responsible growers so that a greater amount of genetic material is circulating in cultivation.

B.) Buying only from reputable nurseries who have done everything completely legally and already germinated the plants for us.

It's a good debate to continue having because as the years go by more and more amateur and beginning growers join the hobby. This is great because I love that our community continues to grow, but at the same time it's easier to log onto ebay than it is to be confronted with this discussion.

I think Not a Number's post is particularly pertinent and informative. One may be as passionate as they want in one direction or the other, but nothing like the heavy hand of the law truly dissuades people from making more decisions.

I'm no saint either. Looking back on it I have purchased seed-grown N. glabrata before, two of them. I didn't ask questions about how they were seed-grown, from which seed? The fact is, they probably originated from wild collected seed. It's unfortunate but true...

Which is why my collection is full of various hybrids and TC plants. It's not the way I would dream it but... oh well! I sleep well at night.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @dex: why couldn't it be both? Why couldn't vendors buy wild collected seed? They obviously would be far more qualified since they deal with mass quality of plants daily. They'd just need to start up a tc facility.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    @dex: why couldn't it be both? Why couldn't vendors buy wild collected seed? They obviously would be far more qualified since they deal with mass quality of plants daily. They'd just need to start up a tc facility.
    Well ultimately it has to be a mixture of both, thus you have Borneo Exotics and Andreas Wistuba. That is essentially all they are doing.

But it's a matter of where does the seed come from? Is it legal, ethical, everything else.

I agree though that there should be a North American Nursery on the same scale as EP and BE, but the problem with that is the cost. There are few places in the U.S. that can really grow Nepenthes as well as in Sri Lanka or Australia. There'd be needed expenses for heat and or cooling..
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 04-07-2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Closing accounts I dont use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the Hawaiin growers, i.e., Sam Estes, grow beautiful plants outdoors.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Griffin View Post
    Some of the Hawaiin growers, i.e., Sam Estes, grow beautiful plants outdoors.
    This is very true. But if I'm not mistaken hasn't even he had problems with some of the more demanding highlanders? or lowlanders, I can't remember which?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major problem with the US and Canada, too hot for highlanders in summer and too cold for lowlanders in winter. Maybe some nurseries could try the double nursery technique like BE does.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast