Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild collected Nep seed purchase discussions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wild collected Nep seed purchase discussions

Admin edit
    This post has been pulled from this topic: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...=129654&page=4 along with related posts....
    (now deleted by request of author)

Upon reading this thread I felt compelled to be a wet blanket since nobody else is saying anything.

Many, if not all of these ebay vendors are taking these seeds from their indigenous environment and I have never heard of any of these Indonesian vendors actually having the permits to send these seeds internationally. In fact right now there are a number of species up for sale that will "be sent as arts and crafts".

For a long time N. naga and still right now N. aristolochioides seeds are or were available on ebay. I understand wanting to grow these plants from seed. I would absolutely love to have some seed grown N. aristolochioides. But many of these vendors brag about how fresh their seed is and how it was "harvested" from Mt. wherever.

Why are these plants getting rarer and rarer?

Why are some endangered?

How is buying their poached seeds off of ebay going to sustain that species?

Ask yourself these questions.
    Last edited by Dexenthes; 02-22-2012 at 02:05 AM.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Upon reading this thread I felt compelled to be a wet blanket since nobody else is saying anything.

Many, if not all of these ebay vendors are taking these seeds from their indigenous environment most likely with no permits. Also I have never heard of any of these Indonesian vendors actually having the permits to send these seeds internationally. In fact right now there are a number of species up for sale that will "be sent as arts and crafts".

For a long time N. naga and still right now N. aristolochioides seeds are or were available on ebay. I understand wanting to grow these plants from seed. I would absolutely love to have some seed grown N. aristolochioides. But many of these vendors brag about how fresh their seed is and how it was "harvested" from Mt. wherever.

Why are these plants getting rarer and rarer?

Why are some endangered?

How is buying their poached seeds off of ebay going to sustain that species?

Ask yourself these questions.
    Very, very true. However, I do believe that albermarelsounds has a permit to collect, if I can recall correctly from what another member of TF told me. That is part of the reason I order from him, and the other part was because the person who told me had good success rate. So I agree with what you are saying, but some (definitely not many) ebay sellers may actually have permits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the listings under **************** and ******************* in ebay were deleted very recently. Strange... Do you know how I can communicate with this guy? I saw the seed offerings a few days ago but now all of them are gone.
    Last edited by magellan; 02-17-2012 at 05:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry magellan but I cant help you.

Just sowed some N.x ventricosa x veitchii. I really have my fingers crossed for these. Should be a nice hybrid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 04-07-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Closing accounts I dont use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 04-07-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Closing accounts I dont use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^
    that deserves applause

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted
    Last edited by ColdCoffee; 04-07-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Closing accounts I dont use

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast