Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call me crazy...

So a couple of you might remember 'gemmae in a bottle'...

I stepped it up a notch. Bical in a bottle!!!

When it matures, I have liquid plastic that I will fill the bottle with, let set, and then I will smash the bottle and have a Bicalcarata pitcher immortalized in plastic resin! I've tried it with a sarr pitcher in a test tube(but with two part epoxy resin... bubbly when mixed), and there is still some nice green still present, so this looks promissing! With this resin, if done well, will be crystal clear!
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird but awesome! It would be a pretty cool thing to display in your office or hang up in your house.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man that's such a great idea! I can't wait to see the results!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool idea!

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea! You should try mixing in some glue...some guy was able to preserve a snowflake with some glue...so maybe that'd help...

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kinda like growing a square watermelon!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you drain the pitcher before you encase it in the plastic?
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one Bloke but couple things to keep in mind with clear polyester resin such as Casting Craft brand sold at most art shops. This is the one with a large bottle of resin and small bottle of catalyst, you may have to buy the resin & catalyst separately read the package at the store so you don't have to make two trips.

It heats up and may boil the color out of your pitcher. I did an 8" N. hamata pitcher with CC and it ended up looking like it was made of white gold. The glass I cast it in got very hot and cracked from the heat and the resin was smoking but it did actually cure.

My piece started out crystal clear but the resin does get yellowed with time. The last time I saw my hamata pitcher casting in my storage bin it was quite yellowed, and there's no light in there, though it did sit on my bookshelf for years before that.

Warning: It's not only is terribly toxic to breathe but a toy sculptor pal of mine set a fire trying to cast a very large piece and mis-measuring the catalyst. You need less catalyst the thicker your piece is going to be but still need enough to allow it to cure, you may have to experiment a bit. Just be careful and do the casting outside or in your garage with a fire extinguisher handy.
    Last edited by swords; 02-23-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast