What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think i may have gone a lil crazy.

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Yesterday I got bit by seed fever again. I went on ebay and placed orders for

N. jacuelinea
N. jacuelinea x izumiae
N. dubia
N. aristolochiodes
N. inermis
N. tentaculata
N. jamban
N. lingulata
Then since I got 5 from one guy I will get a bonus pack too. I asked for the bongso but he said was their choice so we will see. Last time I offered I got a duplicate of one I ordered.

One seed pod of each. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

One of the eBay sellers (nepentheceae... He has many different accounts I believe) has pretty poor germination rates, if any at all. I'm tempted to order from somebody other than albermarelsounds, so I'll definitely want to see how this goes. :)

Nah, don't be so hard on yourself! That's....that's completely ...normal behavior...

:-))

Great.

Last edited:
I did the same thing about three months ago so its normal. Good luck with yours I hope you soon have to many plants.

these three Ebay accounts are known to be selling illegally: albermarlesounds, morebuyfromthisshop and nepentheceae
I highly suggest you avoid them. They wild collect and sell worldwide without permits. they collect critically endangered species seed and sell them. I strongly suggest you not buy from these sellers.

these three Ebay accounts are known to be selling illegally: albermarlesounds, morebuyfromthisshop and nepentheceae
I highly suggest you avoid them. They wild collect and sell worldwide without permits. they collect critically endangered species seed and sell them. I strongly suggest you not buy from these sellers.

There's already a thread discussing this. And they have read that thread.

Can you please tell me which critically enangered species albermarelsounds has listed illegally so I can avoid buying that particular species?

It's true mcm, albermarlesounds is not selling any endangered species at the moment.

However, N. aristolochioides is a very threatened species.

GOOD LUck!

Ricardo (albermalessounds) does collect wild seed, that is correct, but. Many people who know him, know he only does it on a small scale, and only in well established populations. I cannot vouch for the other shops, who i feel are probably the same people (nepenthecea, morebuyfromthisshop) but I have bought seed from Ricardo a few times, hoping to sustain some genetic variation in culture.
Where do you think your ventricosa originally came from? Or all of the seed grown hamata from BE and AWs release, or any Nep for that matter.
I can certainly say that Ricardo is not going to destroy a population, like the poachers have destroyed the population of N. clipeata or construction destroying the populations of N. bokorensis and N. thorelii.

Mcmcnaw, before you go and scream highly avoid someone, take some facts into consideration.

Yes, it is illegal to send these seed internationally without the correct permits, however many of the seed grown plants in your closest CP buddies collection probably came this way.
A good number of the seed goes to very capable growers
A Nepenthes flpeer can be anywhere from just a few buds, to over a hundred. Each pod containing upwards of 50 seed, of Ricardo harvests 10 sellable portions of 50 seeds, this is 10 pods, generally on a plant flower of 50-100 pods, and 9 times out of 10 the rest of the population is in bloom in that area as well. So you have thousands of seed still remaining, so even taking twice that from a HEALTHY population is not going to devistate it (this does not make this morally correct, but morals are based on views, and I'm sure he has a family to support, and every dollar counts.)

Many of my seed grown plants from this man have been -GIVEN- to other growers. I don't usually sell them unless I know for sure what they are, and I prefer to spread material through the hobby to a capable grower, rather than a pocket heavy rich grower.

I'm probably straying off topic. It's 5:45AM and time to leave for work.

Permits and/or Phytosanitary Certificates are required, depending on the number of seed, if they are free of other non-seed material and number of taxa. Seed and plant material sent to the US must be sent directly to one of the Plant Inspection Centers listed on the APHIS website. CITES plants require a CITES permit, depending on the species and parts of the plant.

That others have imported seed illegally is no excuse.

Failure to follow these regulations is in violation of Code of Federal Regulations Title 7 (Agriculture) and Title 19 (Custom and Duty) as well as United States Codes Title 7 and 19 and the Endangered Species Act. Penalties for individuals can range from $1,000 to $250,000 in fines and/or up to 10 years imprisonment.

Don't think you'll get caught? See this post on the ICPS forum. Also posted recently on the ICPS listserv is a post by a long-time (25+ years?) CP grower that is relevant. I asked him directly for permission to repost his message but I have not heard back from. In essence he said he bought seed (non-endangered) from one of these SE Asia sellers from eBay that sell critically endangered species without permits. The USDA gets hold of their buyer's lists and sent uniformed agents knocking on his door and continued to harass him for a number of months. See ICPS listserv messages dated 20 Feb, 2012 re: Critically Endangered Seed.

I hope you people have your phytosanitary certificates or PPQ 587 and proof of inspection documents in order.

PPQ 587 permits are free, although it will cost you a buck or two to mail the paperwork to the seller. CITES PPQ 621 permit costs $70.00 US. Phytosanitary Certificates cost is determined by the issuing country and is subject to currency exchange rates. Current costs are from around $40 to over $200 USD. Some countries like Brazil require one certificate per taxon, not per shipment. Shipper must include CITES paperwork where applicable.

Phyto and cites are not required for seeds (unless appendix one) am I correct in thinking this?

Back