User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do I Need Circulation for My Nepenthes Seed?

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I Need Circulation for My Nepenthes Seed?

So last night I received 6 types of Nepenthes seed I had ordered off ebay in the mail. After running by lowes and getting a 3 packs of the covered seedling trays, I got everything sowed. I used scissors to shred up 100% dried LFS, boiled it to sterilize it, and then filled 6 sets of cells and put 1 type of seed in each cell. I put the tray, covered, on the seed heating mat on the bottom of my growrack, pretty far from the lights 2 shelves above, until they germinate.
    Should I keep the humidity dome on 24/7? Should I air it out each day? Leave it off completely?
    Also, should I leave any water in the bottom of the seed tray, or just add in water whenever it starts to dry out.
    Thanks for the help!
    Kyle

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take the top off about 30 min to 1 hour each day...that should give the seeds a breather

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would keep the dome on constantly and provide a couple of vents on the cover if not already present. My typical method for Nepenthes seed is a standard 3" pot full of wet peat and sand, along with a closed zip-lock bag under diffused lighting . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a whole lot of extra gymnaphora seed that I didn't use. going to throw them on peat/sand tonight and compare germination rates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FOOL! Nobody uses peat/sand for nep seed germination!

I used this long ago when I had good connections and got great germination with stenophylla and fusca.
    I used to boil milled sphagnum and then overdid it once and got loads of fungus on it. It seemed to break the anti-fungal properties of it. Make sure you keep an eye out for that.

Cheers,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I would keep the dome on constantly and provide a couple of vents on the cover if not already present. My typical method for Nepenthes seed is a standard 3" pot full of wet peat and sand, along with a closed zip-lock bag under diffused lighting . . .