What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutoff Point for Pitcher Formation?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
About a month ago, my N. ventricosa x talangensis dropped down a tendril about 10" to the moss in the pots around it. The tendril has been squirming around, but it is not evident that a pitcher is forming. Not sure if it’s going to produce a pitcher or not. Both basals on the plant have successfully produced and opened their first baby pitchers, so conditions are good for pitchering, demonstrated by my 8 other neps. Humidity is consistently 85% during the day and moisture condenses on the glass at night. Temperatures are 64-68 during the night and 74-78 during the day. Why would tendrils drop down so low, be squirming around for weeks and not form pitchers? I’m anxious to see what these uppers look like!

Any ideas? ???

I have a ventricosa X spathulata and a maxima that do exactly the same thing. The pitchers do eventually form, usually 2 at a time for whatever reason. It's a frustrating wait though, especially while the basals are still throwing out lowers like crazy.

How many weeks/months does it usually take for them to begin pitcher formation?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Nepenthes can be strange in their ways sometimes.

Also if it has basals growing then most of its energy is probably devoted to those basals so it might in turn take significantly longer for that vine pitcher to form. Furthermore, if it producing an upper that process might take more time anyway as the plant looks around for something to grasp onto.

And furtherfurthermore, 65-68 is not really quite low enough at night for true highlanders (IMO), though I wouldn't worry too much about that because I have heard that that particular cross is quite hardy.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Nepenthes can be strange in their ways sometimes.

Also if it has basals growing then most of its energy is probably devoted to those basals so it might in turn take significantly longer for that vine pitcher to form. Furthermore, if it producing an upper that process might take more time anyway as the plant looks around for something to grasp onto.

And furtherfurthermore, 65-68 is not really quite low enough at night for true highlanders (IMO), though I wouldn't worry too much about that because I have heard that that particular cross is quite hardy.

When I received it, one of the leaves had an upper tendril hanging down. It had been like that for at least a month or two because it was three leaves down, and it is still like that with no pitcher, but I see the tendril actively squirming around, though it is not getting any longer or forming a pitcher...

Does it need something to wrap around? Should I put like a stick in there for it lol? How long does it usually take to start forming an upper?

I can't get the temperature down any lower than that. That's the room temperature. I'll start turning the heat all the way off at night and I can close the door to that room. With two large windows, it should cool off and warm up in the day pretty quickly.

Back