What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attempt at air layering

So my nepethes ventricosa and miranda have their main basal growing completely sideways from being in the window and I was going to cut them off but I figured why not try to air layer them maybe I can trade them off or something instead of just throwing it away.

Anyway here is my attempt. I made a cut upwards below the leaf after cutting off all the nearby leaves. Then I wedged some LFS in the cut so it doesn't just heal up. Then I wrapped it in a wet ball of LFS, wrapped that in plastic and taped it shut, then wrapped it in paper so the plastic doesn't cook it. Anyway here are some pictures.

Anyone know if I should cut off the flower on my ventricosa? That would probably save it some energy.

nl7nzo.jpg

t7oge9.jpg

Keep us updated with how you do.

Earlier this year, I tried air-layering N. hamata & N. jamban as each had started to vine. Apparently not long after I started the N. jamban, it aborted the main vine & put out 2 new basals. Once I discovered the blackened area, I cut the vine off & chopped it in half. The cutting closest to the black area wilted in 1-2 weeks but the 2nd half of the vine is still green. The N. hamata is still showing no roots & I'll have to cut it into pieces soon as it also hasn't slowed it's growth and it sure can't go far in a 10 gal tank!

Hopefully, you'll have better luck than me! As soon as my N. aristo spits out it's seeds, I hope to air-layer it...

Last edited:
Keep us updated with how you do.

Earlier this year, I tried air-layering N. hamata & N. jamban as each had started to vine. Apparently not long after I started the N. jamban, it aborted the main vine & put out 2 new basals. Once I discovered the blackened area, I cut the vine off & chopped it in half. The cutting closest to the black area wilted in 1-2 weeks but the 2nd half of the vine is still green. The N. hamata is still showing no roots & I'll have to cut it into pieces soon as it also hasn't slowed it's growth and it sure can't go far in a 10 gal tank!

Hopefully, you'll have better luck than me! As soon as my N. aristo spits out it's seeds, I hope to air-layer it...

Well that's not fun. If it happens ohh well. Still going to get cut off.

Just an update. Growth point on miranda appears to be dying off.
25gs18w.jpg

Ventricosa seems fine though. Getting a little color from being in full sun for the past week, might move to a shadier area.
10pmzyc.jpg

Back