User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to repot a N. ventricosa with a long trunk, but also a basal?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things:

1) verify the humidity levels. If you are in the low 30% range at room temp, that could be contributing to the problem.
    2) if you can FEEL the heat from the heat source if you hold your hand where the plant is situated, then its too close to that heat source. This is potentially a major issue. Those small, twisted looking new leaves at the center of the main shoot are symptomatic of temperatures above its comfort zone. I'm talking mainly about NIGHT temps: they should drop to at least 60F consistently every night. 55F might even be better. You should probably gather some stats on day/night highs and lows. When new foliage gets smaller rather than larger, its often because either/both day and night temps are too warm.
    3) the foliage is browning at the edges, which suggests a possibly toxic media. Are you 100% certain that the materials used to make the soil mix are guaranteed free of fertilizers/added nutrients? Even "pure" peat moss nowadays has some fertilizer added, making it necessary to "wash" the peat before using.

So, I see symptoms of more than one issue here. I doubt insect damage is at play. investigate the other issues first, then consider looking at insect damage. (although it never hurts to inspect your plants with a good magnifying lens.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    A couple of things:

1) verify the humidity levels. If you are in the low 30% range at room temp, that could be contributing to the problem.
    2) if you can FEEL the heat from the heat source if you hold your hand where the plant is situated, then its too close to that heat source. This is potentially a major issue. Those small, twisted looking new leaves at the center of the main shoot are symptomatic of temperatures above its comfort zone. I'm talking mainly about NIGHT temps: they should drop to at least 60F consistently every night. 55F might even be better. You should probably gather some stats on day/night highs and lows. When new foliage gets smaller rather than larger, its often because either/both day and night temps are too warm.
    3) the foliage is browning at the edges, which suggests a possibly toxic media. Are you 100% certain that the materials used to make the soil mix are guaranteed free of fertilizers/added nutrients? Even "pure" peat moss nowadays has some fertilizer added, making it necessary to "wash" the peat before using.

So, I see symptoms of more than one issue here. I doubt insect damage is at play. investigate the other issues first, then consider looking at insect damage. (although it never hurts to inspect your plants with a good magnifying lens.)
    I'm 100% sure. It's the same peat I use with all my other CPs, and I washed it anyway. I washed all the soil ingredients. I bet I know what the problem is....

The night temps were about 70. All winter. In fact, the night temps were probably higher than the day temps, because I'm a night owl, and would have the heat on down here when I was awake, and it'd be cooler once I turned the heat off and went to bed around sunrise.

I couldn't feel the heat where the plant is. I just remembered I have a thermometer under there and it didn't indicate feeling the heat either, as far as I remember. But even without feeling the heat directly, having warmer nights than days probably did it, huh. Heck.

So I'm going to repot it right now with LFS, orchid bark, and perlite, 1:1:1. Unless someone has any reason why I shouldn't. Then I'm going to put it somewhere outside. They don't like direct sunlight, from what I hear. Maybe I shouldn't even have it right under those lights then...
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    The night temps were about 70. All winter. In fact, the night temps were probably higher than the day temps.
    In a word, yes; too warm for healthy growth. Find a way to get it down to between 50F and 60F, as best you can. Anything under 50F for extended periods will likely prove detrimental, so monitor temps carefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good news is those are the night time temps here right now. So I'll keep him outside. I've had this guy for a while, but keeping those night temps year-round may be too difficult for me. May eventually have to send him to a better home :-\
    Tim

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll see if he likes this any better, outside.

Thanks for all the help.
    Tim

Grow List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    We'll see if he likes this any better, outside.

Thanks for all the help.
    Good luck! I suspect you will see improved health in a few weeks. :-)

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore post, didn't realize there was a 2nd page. Useless advice now lol.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The growth is definitely similar to a spider mite attack and that would correlate nicely with the low humidity. But I don't see any bugs and I trust that you don't either.

So that probably leaves the lower humidity and high temps as the cause of the weird growth. But I wouldn't be too worried! I bet it will enjoy the repot and will probably like being outside getting some real sunlight. (It may get burnt, but don't worry).

Honestly your plant looks really healthy IMO.

Check out my ventricosa - this should give you an idea how hardy they really are. Mine's been chugging along with about 10 hours of very low level light and the last couple weeks its been subjected to 45 degree days and 40 degree nights.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ght=ventricosa

There's no reason to get rid of your plant!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast