User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to repot a N. ventricosa with a long trunk, but also a basal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put this N. ventricosa on the north side of two bigger pots, since I heard they don't like as much direct sunlight. If this is wrong, let me know. Also, should I take off the bottom of the pot that works as a watering tray, and put it on something that will let it drain better? I also heard they don't like sitting in water.

See it hiding there on the right?

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Ah heck, I just read I should have used a "fine" orchid bark. Like, put in a bag and crush with a hammer. Every day's a school day.
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I take off the bottom of the pot that works as a watering tray, and put it on something that will let it drain better? I heard they don't like sitting in water. Would that be a non-issue with how airy this pot is with all this perlite?
    Tim

Grow List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it. The pot looks substantially larger than the plant so the roots probably aren't reaching down to where it would be waterlogged.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were practically no roots. Just like last time I repotted.
    Tim

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It cooled down outside so I've just been keeping Mr. ventricosa up in the glass block window, and a nice green, not spotted yellow, leaf came out, growing real nice, and the basal is doing great. It gets about 72 down here during the day, maybe warmer up in the bright window, and then 68 during the night, maybe lower right by the window. I think he may just pull through.
    Tim

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am doubting that it is a temperature or humidity issue. Ventricosa is not picky at all as far as temps are concerned. Many, many people have success growing it in intermediate and some as a lowlander. As for humidity is concerned, I grew my ventricosa for a few years on top of my radiator in my room which was under a north facing window. Probably the worst location for a nep, but it chugged along fine. It did not pitcher for me in winter, but would come back in spring with a vengeance. My ventricosa also did not have much of a root system. My plant never produced any kind of funky leaves in it's life. Check to make sure that your peat does not contain a fertilizer. Many peat moss brands contain a fertilizer because people use it to start seedlings of plants that need it. I agree with Dex, it definitely looks like a mite attack to me. You never know where pests can come from. I had a scale attack not long ago. Came from some orchids I saved from the death rack at Lowes, which coincidentally is where I bought my sarr pots which are the same as yours. Lol. Sometimes plants just do weird things on their own as well, but immediately go back to normal. Good luck getting your plant back on track.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123