User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to repot a N. ventricosa with a long trunk, but also a basal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to repot a N. ventricosa with a long trunk, but also a basal?

I'm worried about my N. ventricosa. It doesn't appear to be doing well. But it never does this time of year, I guess. Maybe because it's near the heater, even though it doesn't blow on it. I assume a repot would help.

But I have a basal, too. I was thinking I'd have to pot the mama plant with more of the trunk in the soil, but I don't know if that's how it's really done.

Here's a thread from August when I found the basal. The basal is actually coming along very nicely.

If you think a repot isn't in order, let me know. Please advise.

I'm going to go trim off dead leaves and pitchers right now.
    Last edited by TENroaches; 03-14-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    I'm worried about my N. ventricosa. It doesn't appear to be doing well. But it never does this time of year, I guess. Maybe because it's near the heater, even though it doesn't blow on it. I assume a repot would
    there is something far more seriously wrong with that ventricosa than needing a repotting, but without knowing the specifics about your growing conditions it's impossible to know what's wrong here. That is a plant in severe distress, which is really saying something, as ventricosa is such an easy plant to grow.

Describe the growing conditions in detail?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    there is something far more seriously wrong with that ventricosa than needing a repotting, but without knowing the specifics about your growing conditions it's impossible to know what's wrong here. That is a plant in severe distress, which is really saying something, as ventricosa is such an easy plant to grow.

Describe the growing conditions in detail?
    It's in a pot with peat, perlite, LFS, and orchid bark. It was potted about a year ago. I think my plant hates winter, maybe because of the lower humidity, or because it's down near a heater (if I had to guess, I'd guess humidity, because the heat doesn't blow on the plant). It's about a foot below some 32W 5000K T8s I have. Could the smaller leaves and putting them out real fast mean it's too bright? Or just too warm?

I water every couple days with RO until it comes out the bottom of the pot. There is a water tray under it, so it *does* sit in the little bit of water after watering, and as I understand it, neps don't like that. Maybe that contributes to my problem. Oh, and I also feed him the occasional betta pellet. The same ones that work for my sundews. Maybe that contributes to the problem, too?

In the months when there's more light, like maybe starting now, I keep it up in a south-facing glass block window in my basement, where it seems to like. My first summer with it, I kept it outside under a translucent glass table, and I think it liked it there, but I've been too scared to move it back outside after it got used to inside. But now I'll try anything.

I trimmed and took more pics. The basal is so much greener.

If I do move him back outside, what's a magic night temperature that I should avoid? He would eat so much better outside.
    Tim

Grow List

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being close to the heater could definitely be your problem, but the media also looks a bit dense. I'd say move and repot it. Also, check to see if there are any little bumps all over the growth point or tiny bugs crawling around it. Severe thrips damage to my ventricosa x ventrata looked very similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    Being close to the heater could definitely be your problem, but the media also looks a bit dense. I'd say move and repot it. Also, check to see if there are any little bumps all over the growth point or tiny bugs crawling around it. Severe thrips damage to my ventricosa x ventrata looked very similar.
    I do have what I think are springtails. Real tiny and real silver. They're only in the soil.

I think my mix there is equal parts peat, LFS, perlite, and orchid bark. Maybe I used peat/LFS together and used equal parts to that for the others. Is there a better ratio I should use? Up the perlite?

No critters are bumps on the plant. Little red spots, though. It's had those in the past when I made distress posts. :-\
    Tim

Grow List

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really feel like it's the heater. Still, just repot into something looser. I'd probably just lose the peat entirely in your mix, or at least make it a very small proportion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All righty. Question: Do I plant the whole trunk above soil level, or put some of it down in the soil?
    Tim

Grow List

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The level you have it at now is fine, but covering the trunk a bit wouldn't make much of a difference. I wouldn't completely bury it, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast