What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Predator parentage

Hi, I spent some time today out in the GH. I have both a nep. Predator and Nep. vent x hamata and a hamata x spathulata. I noticed that in almost all of the newer hybrids with hamata as a parent the offsping have inherited the "hair" of hamata. However, my predator and all of the pics or other predators I have seen do not have even one strand. I find this very interesting and its brought me to question the hamata parentage a bit. Any thoughts?

I think that there is no question that hamata is the parent in x predator. The ribbed peristome, rosetting of the plant, coloration ect. all point to hamata.

Truncata may just naturally overpower the gene that expresses hair on the lid? Or perhaps when x predator was young it had hair on the lid. As far as I know there are no seedling predators out there right now so that's possible.

Definitely hamata though. It's my least favorite hamata cross by far though.

Last edited:
So x predator is truncata x hamata?

Well I agree the Predator does have many of the attributes of hamata. But, tentataculata has many of the same traits. The teeth in predator are much smaller then of the parent plant hamata. However, this seems to equally true in the newer crosses as well.

Yeah... there's no way I'd bite on the tentaculata theory.

I don't think there's any way that this peristome:

ntruncata2007123003ih8.jpg

And this peristome:

N-tentaculata-Crocker-Range-4826.jpg

Could ever equal this peristome:

Nepenthes_x_Predator.jpg

Perhaps, you have a point. I jusy found it strange that three(that I am aware of) different hamata hybrids offspring all pretty much have inherited the hair of hamata. While the predator did not. But, you could be right, dexenthes.

Lol, here ya go. :lol:

predator2.jpg

N._Predator_small_3_8_05.jpg

But I will say that n. Predator lowers are one of my favorites

Thanks mass. I had heard of x Predator a few months ago but didn't know what cross it was.

Thanks mass. I had heard of x Predator a few months ago but didn't know what cross it was.

my least favorite of the truncata hybrids.

Wow nerd! Stunning plant! Wish they were available here.

Truncata tends to have a strong influence in anything it's crossed in...it have very dominant genes.

This is how my brain interpreted this thought process:

No hair on x 'Predator" huh? ::Looks at other hamata hybrids::

... "the seed is strong"... maybe hamata was cuckolded by another truncata!

Really? Looks more hamta to me personally... Usually in truncatas I'm used to seeing truncated leaves, thick pertistomes and no splotchiness... The splotches and teeth and thin peristomes scream hamata at me... But if it weren't posted, I couldn't have guessed either parent of the hybrid lol.

N. Predator is without question a hybrid of N. truncata X N. hamata. The cross was made by Exotica Plants a number of years ago.

Back