Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Predator parentage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes Predator parentage

Hi, I spent some time today out in the GH. I have both a nep. Predator and Nep. vent x hamata and a hamata x spathulata. I noticed that in almost all of the newer hybrids with hamata as a parent the offsping have inherited the "hair" of hamata. However, my predator and all of the pics or other predators I have seen do not have even one strand. I find this very interesting and its brought me to question the hamata parentage a bit. Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that there is no question that hamata is the parent in x predator. The ribbed peristome, rosetting of the plant, coloration ect. all point to hamata.

Truncata may just naturally overpower the gene that expresses hair on the lid? Or perhaps when x predator was young it had hair on the lid. As far as I know there are no seedling predators out there right now so that's possible.

Definitely hamata though. It's my least favorite hamata cross by far though.
    Last edited by Dexenthes; 03-17-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So x predator is truncata x hamata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I agree the Predator does have many of the attributes of hamata. But, tentataculata has many of the same traits. The teeth in predator are much smaller then of the parent plant hamata. However, this seems to equally true in the newer crosses as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... there's no way I'd bite on the tentaculata theory.

I don't think there's any way that this peristome:

And this peristome:

Could ever equal this peristome:

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps, you have a point. I jusy found it strange that three(that I am aware of) different hamata hybrids offspring all pretty much have inherited the hair of hamata. While the predator did not. But, you could be right, dexenthes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, here ya go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine you win lol. Ive never seen those pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast