What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mold on Nep Seedlings Media

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I have some seedlings of a complex nep hybrid that germinated maybe 4 months ago. They are getting their first carnivorous leaves, and are maybe a centimeter in diameter at max. They are in 100% shredded LFS. The media is beginning to get some white mold in it, and I just want to know if I should transplant the seedlings, treat them somehow or what.
Thanks,
Kyle

Manually pluck the mold off first. I got mold in my germination tank before my seeds even germinated, so I plucked it out and there's no more. Made sure not to get any seeds with the mold too, which will be much easier with your large sprouts.

From my understanding, this is caused by lack of circulation. Try putting a computer fan ($10 from Radio Shack) in there to keep the air moving. I'm being a hypocrite by saying that because I never chose to spend $10 to do that, but people with very high germination rates have recommended that to me.

In terrariums for frogs or snakes, it is common to get mold when first set up, and it usually goes away. Pluck it out as you see it, keep the air circulating and just wait. It should go away. :)

They are in small deli containers with holes in the lids...is it safe to take the lid off now that the yare germinated? Or will the lower humidity kill em?

They are in small deli containers with holes in the lids...is it safe to take the lid off now that the yare germinated? Or will the lower humidity kill em?

Well, I think once they have their carnivorous leaves, you should acclimate them to the humidity you'll be keeping them at. I would open the lid and stick them with you other neps, but raise the humidity to match that in the container, then slowly drop it... Before you do that though, let somebody else who is more experienced than me voice their opinion. I'm just sharing what I've been told, I have no experience further than sowing seeds, which I may have done improperly, who knows... I've had my seeds for maybe three weeks with no germination yet. 65% humidity day 85F, 90% humidity night 65F.

I would keep the humidity as high as possible for a while, but you should definitely acclimate them to the humidity you're keeping your other neps at, not sure when to do that though.

Thanks pineapple. really appreciate it!

Back