Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Seeds Sowing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flasker View Post
    BigBella,
    I use MS and DKW. First I try 1/4 MS and standard sterilization: no contamination but no germination. Lower the sterilization -> contamination. I adjust sterilization but no sign of live. I use DKW then change the concentration a dozen times. It drives me like a nut. When I almost give up I see a green dot. Hope it survives. It's too early to say but I know exactly the problem. When I get fresh seeds I will try again.
    When you say "standard sterilization," what method did you use, and its duration. Nepenthes seeds are notoriously easy to kill during that process -- and sterilization can all too often mean that of the seed itself. I now limit myself to four and eight percent solutions of PPM for the entire genera; and other species, a combination of methods . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    When you say "standard sterilization," what method did you use, and its duration. Nepenthes seeds are notoriously easy to kill during that process -- and sterilization can all too often mean that of the seed itself. I now limit myself to four and eight percent solutions of PPM for the entire genera; and other species, a combination of methods . . .
    "standard sterilization" is 10% Clorox for 10 minutes. I read your sterilization and want to try; unfortunately, I don't have PPM so I try Physan which may have the same functions as PPM. No contamination but no germinate. I also try NaDCC too. I need to try more to see how it works.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flasker View Post
    "standard sterilization" is 10% Clorox for 10 minutes. I read your sterilization and want to try; unfortunately, I don't have PPM so I try Physan which may have the same functions as PPM. No contamination but no germinate. I also try NaDCC too. I need to try more to see how it works.
    I would reduce your Clorox by half, at the very least; and i have never had any experience with Physan, save for use on some plants . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I would reduce your Clorox by half, at the very least; and i have never had any experience with Physan, save for use on some plants . . .
    I reduce the concentration of Clorox, NaDCC and Physan as well as the number of minutes. I could be wrong but I think it's not the problem of sterilization because seedlings in the pictures are sterilized too. The problem could be something else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the amount of chlorine in bleach varies depending on the time of the year. Very possible to end up with more active ingredient or less just between winter to summer. Was testing Trichloroisocyanuric acid (swimming pool chlorinating granules). At 1/8 tsp per cup and it seems to have not kill the VFT flower stalks and gave me reasonable disinfection using suggested bleach soak and rinse times...

have not tried nep seeds yet.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post

same batch of seeds

Wow.. How do you get so many seedlings?? Of course I see a lot of seeds, but I have about the same amount of fresh seeds and three weeks later still nothing on the correct media and in the correct LL environment ...am I doing anything wrong?

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got seeds for the same batch. They arrived in the mail a month and a half after he sent them out. Needless to say, nothing happened.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have over 50 seedlings from kula myself. Placed in terrarium with high humidity and 2 banks of t8 lights on 16 hrs a day. More keep sprouting too. Sewn on milled lfs. I have an ultra sonic humidifier piped in and I occasionally will fog the tank. It's always on to keep humidity up, but I like the fog look sometimes so I ramp it up to fill the tank. And I have a pc fan inside running at all times.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast