What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf Disorders

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Six leafs back on my N. ventricosa x talangensis (the first leaf that opened up when I got it in December) developed some black crap on it sometime after the leaf opened. A few months later, I'm finally getting around to posting it, along with some other pics. The best I can describe it is like a smudge of melted chocolate. It's part of the leaf, not something on it, it won't come off when rinsed with water or rubbed. What could this be?

2njhs9f.jpg

Next, a leaf on a plant I bought recently has some black, mold-like stuff on it. It's part of the leaf, so discoloration I suppose. It doesn't come off when rinsed with water and rubbed. What could this be?

2jbwu3s.jpg

Lastly, on that same plant, a few leafs back it is splotchy red/orange/yellow. This is common with many of the plants I have bought at the same nursery. Discolored, red/orange/yellow leaves... Obviously not age because they are not turning brown/black and falling off. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the lighting. If it is the lighting, can I infer that the plants weren't getting enough light or that they were getting too much? That way, I can shade my greenhouse based off of the lighting in the greenhouse these guys came from. Example... ***please note that all leaves following these discolored ones are pure green***

24xzxn8.jpg

Thanks in advance! :)

I think it's a fungus. Mato just posted something similar, the treatment is described in the thread as well.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Here it is. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130200

Thanks! :)

I'll see what I can do about purchasing fungicide. Why does it only appear on a few of the older leaves and none of the newer ones?

Also, the smudge on my N. ventricosa x talangensis (first pic) is a brown black, not a rusty color like on the other leaves. Is it the same thing, or just a different fungus? Can it be treated the same?

Oh no. I've read both these threads now. I have this on my nice biclacarata. I didn't think anything of it because I put it under lights and thought it was redening up like some plants do from high light. It seems healthy other wise. I don't know if they carry those fungecides at my local lowes or home depot. Same patter too. New leaves are fine.

Black stuff is black sooty mold I believe. It should come off with a qtip and water or isopropyl alcohol. Sugary secretions from plant, humidity, stagnant air all seem to contribute to the fungi's ability to grow. I don't believe its very harmful to the plant itself, just a bit unsightly.

In any case, treatment of it can be the same as the other potential fungi issue so you should be able to kill 2 birds so to speak if the alcohol doesn't do the trick for you.

good luck.

Just an added note.. I get these flare ups a lot with new plants (never thought too much of them either). My guess is that the stress of shipment weakens its ability to fight off the fungi and so you see it more prevalent in the older leaves. Over time, as the plant acclimates and gets healthier, should notice improvement and a reduction in the flare up of the discoloration. Though, treating it is probably a good thing in any case. Even if it gets 'better' the likelihood is that the fungi is still living in the plant and just waiting to rear its head again on the next chance it gets that the plant is stressed out. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited:
Back