Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Highland chamber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highland chamber

My goal for this setup is to make some of my highland Neps happy. Most of my Neps do fine in my basement conditions but a few, such as N aristolochioides, need it colder. I haven't bought anything for this setup yet. I'm looking for feedback on how you think this will work.

Enclosure: Darkroom DP90 Propagator - 3' x 2' x 2'. I like that this is a compact enclosure. I wish it was another foot taller but I couldn't find anything between 24 inches and 48 inches. http://wormsway.com/detail.aspx?sku=DP224 $80

Lighting: T5 2' 4 bulb fixture. I don't have a brand/model picked out. ~$100

Cooling: 8000 BTU window A/C unit through one of the windows in the enclosure. Free, already have an extra one lying around

Humidity: Ultrasonic humidifier, I don't have a brand/model picked out. ~$50?

Temp/Humidity Control Zoo Med HygroTherm seems to be the standard. ~$70

Total cost: about $300

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems good, but..... I recommend building bigger. You will quickly fill that space as plants grow and you aquire more. You will aquire more. The ac can handle a larger enclosure. I hear it is harder to find a good selection of 2foot t5 replacement bulbs. I would go with 4 foots myself and build a larger chamber.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to echo everything that JB said. If you can at all move stuff around and go for a size that will accept 4' units, you will save money and have more space. 4' high bay t5's run me about $90 for a 4 bulb and $150 for a 6 bulb. By contrast, the cheapest 2' I can find is 100$. The bulbs are almost the same price too.

Going with a 3' long enclosure is my #1 regret.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Look on craigslist for everything!* I got a 2' T5 4 Bulb fixture for $70. There was a 4' 6 Bulb for $200 or something, too. Great Deals!