What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hairy Hamata

Hi guys

I am thinking about buying Hairy Red Hamata. I read somewhere that they are not easy to please. What are your experience with them?

Thanks
R

They like cooler temps since they're ultra highlanders. So 40s-50s at night and 70s during the day, I believe. They also enjoy very, very high humidity at night, as with most ultra highlanders.

supposedly they are fairly difficult, harder than regular hamata. Also, good luck finding one for sale, I have never seen one sold before.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Pineapple, hamata actually isnt an ultrahighlander.

Hamata isn't a UHLer. As myself and a few other growers have managed to grow them in household conditions with good success, UHL's like villosa and monticola wouldn't fair quite as well!

A plants range may extend into UHL range without being UHL itself, though the location of the plant themselves might make them more fussy in temperature range... A good example of this is N. burbidgeae which actually grows better as a intermediate, but extends into UHL range, there are also ampullaria which extend into the lower threshold of highland, though I would not consider them highland plants, but can probably take highland temps a bit better than their lowland counterparts...

I know a few people personally who grow this hairy "hamata" and the plants are more difficult than hamata themselves... Personally I think we are looking at a new species that needs to be described... There are more differences in this plant that I see, than there are between N. tentaculata and N. nigra... I guess we will see in the future, but good luck finding one of these beauties.... I stupidly passed up the chance to get one 3 years ago, and regret it to this day... Oh well.

Last edited:
thanks for the info Kris. Where did the seed come from that turned into RHH? Wasnt it from a hamata?

Heli: I'm pretty sure it was collected it from one of the hairy specimens.

Really? I always thought it came from a regular hamata. Was it the only hairy they found?

@heli: seed were collected from a population of RHHs....RHH sources did not come from a regular form of hamata. what kris is trying to say is that RHH might not be a form of hamata, but could very well be at least its own species or subspecies.

yea, thats what I heard. Supposedly BE said it will become a new species soon and I agree, its nothing like hamata. Where is this population located? Was it with regular hamatas?

I wonder if the same kind of debate/argument/fight thats going on about 'robcantelyi' will happen if RHH is elevated to a new species

Im sure it will. The thing is though the reason the 'robcantleyi' became hot in the beginning was because someone (I will not name them) claimed that this was just so BE could make more money (or something like that).

I don't know much about the plant but it is clearly a separate species seeing as the similarities between N. hamata and it pretty much stop at them both having teeth.

I can't wait until it gets properly named because red hairy hamata is just a pretty dumb name for such a gorgeous plant. Good luck finding one! It's definitely on my wishlist.

I've also never heard anything about it being an ultra-highlander before, but I could be wrong...

To the taxonomist who names the species:

Please, please, don't make things awkward and call it Nepenthes pubescens. Find something else.

I like Nepenthes viera :)

So is this one an ultrahighland needing really cold nights or just a highland?

I can't wait until it gets properly named because red hairy hamata is just a pretty dumb name for such a gorgeous plant. Good luck finding one!

Nepenthes lycanthropii. :-O

So is this one an ultrahighland needing really cold nights or just a highland?

it is a solid highlander. a large temp difference between daytime and nighttime drops is definitely required.

Back