Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hairy Hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hairy Hamata

Hi guys

I am thinking about buying Hairy Red Hamata. I read somewhere that they are not easy to please. What are your experience with them?

Thanks
    R

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They like cooler temps since they're ultra highlanders. So 40s-50s at night and 70s during the day, I believe. They also enjoy very, very high humidity at night, as with most ultra highlanders.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    supposedly they are fairly difficult, harder than regular hamata. Also, good luck finding one for sale, I have never seen one sold before.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Pineapple, hamata actually isnt an ultrahighlander.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamata isn't a UHLer. As myself and a few other growers have managed to grow them in household conditions with good success, UHL's like villosa and monticola wouldn't fair quite as well!
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, my hamatas thrive in night temps in the 60s and 50s, not UHL

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

haha.. actually in my case im wrong, according to this site http://www.michaelkevinsmith.com/nep...ure-Chart.html
    UHL starts at 2000 meters, my seed grown hamata came from a 2100 meter site (well the seeds did)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A plants range may extend into UHL range without being UHL itself, though the location of the plant themselves might make them more fussy in temperature range... A good example of this is N. burbidgeae which actually grows better as a intermediate, but extends into UHL range, there are also ampullaria which extend into the lower threshold of highland, though I would not consider them highland plants, but can probably take highland temps a bit better than their lowland counterparts...

I know a few people personally who grow this hairy "hamata" and the plants are more difficult than hamata themselves... Personally I think we are looking at a new species that needs to be described... There are more differences in this plant that I see, than there are between N. tentaculata and N. nigra... I guess we will see in the future, but good luck finding one of these beauties.... I stupidly passed up the chance to get one 3 years ago, and regret it to this day... Oh well.
    Last edited by SirKristoff; 04-03-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Stupid iPhone autocorrect

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info Kris. Where did the seed come from that turned into RHH? Wasnt it from a hamata?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heli: I'm pretty sure it was collected it from one of the hairy specimens.
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast