User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitcher of the Month APRIL 2012!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Completely agreed! If it was 12 months, you could really show off 1337 growing skills, but then it would be completely closed off to newbies which would make this place uninviting. Terraforums is a pretty good place to start out online if you're just starting out with plants. If the contests get closed off, then we look like elitist 'good old boys club' who are here just to pat each other on the back.
    And I concur with that, to a point. I think the danger exists that if you modify or remove the 6 month requirement, then you risk turning the contest into a beauty pageant rather than an exercise in demonstrating the grower's skill. I believe the 6 month rule strikes a reasonable balance between "snob elite" and "pretty pitcher free-for-all". If what people want is the latter, then by all means start an appropriately themed thread rather than diluting the current contest rules.

I know you understand my point, thez, and I recognize that you basically already agree with that premise, so please take the above comments as simply an elaboration on my earlier remarks. :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    And I concur with that, to a point. I think the danger exists that if you modify or remove the 6 month requirement, then you risk turning the contest into a beauty pageant rather than an exercise in demonstrating the grower's skill. I believe the 6 month rule strikes a reasonable balance between "snob elite" and "pretty pitcher free-for-all". If what people want is the latter, then by all means start an appropriately themed thread rather than diluting the current contest rules.

I know you understand my point, thez, and I recognize that you basically already agree with that premise, so please take the above comments as simply an elaboration on my earlier remarks. :-)

So that being said - I'm gonna go through and edit my third post to not include any other plants than neps. There's a new 'plant of the month' over in general discussions...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. You guys solved next to nothing here.
    Congrats on the new contest and all, but what of the POTM for the grown ups? Still need someone willing to take it over. Otherwise, it dies.
    And don't be fooled, there is no power involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All hail Queen Zuzumas of the new Nep POTM.

- Thez is taking ownership & making changes she feels is appropriate
    - keeping the TF Nep POTM going (the fact that another forum also has a contest doesn't matter imho)(pics of excellent plants are cool ---> more=better)
    - Thez's argument for keeping TF noob-friendly (although 6 month ownership limit seems reasonable)
    - the job that Mass did while leading POTM - especially adding the pics to the voting thread (probably time-consuming but nice touch that saves time for the rest of us)
    - the potential for an overall CP contest of the month (just need an owner to run with it) - ooops - looks like it was done while I was still writing

Dislikes:
    - losing Rule 9. My N. tenuis has a new mature pitcher with a slightly longer profile. It doesn't seem right that I could enter it again this month...
    - Thez voluntarily not entering plants in contest
    - Mass's comment about grownups - huh??

In keeping with the spirit of the thread ...
    N. argentii

The lid 'stuck' for a while so when it did finally open, it went higher than usual.

Here's a bit more of a closeup of the under-lid teeth (still not 'mature' but I think they're inching their way up the lid - maybe)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    you risk turning the contest into a beauty pageant rather than an exercise in demonstrating the grower's skill.
    And what's wrong with that? In my experience people on Terraforums just want to see pictures of plants and don't care who grew it. If the main criteria is the grower's skill then the winning grower should not be allowed to enter the next months contest. Get rid of the ego-centric "growers/ownership" mindset and you open up the contest to photos of plants in arboretums, botanical gardens or old school grower's collections who have little time or interest in posting on forums.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    - the job that Mass did while leading POTM - especially adding the pics to the voting thread (probably time-consuming but nice touch that saves time for the rest of us)

Dislikes:
    - losing Rule 9. My N. tenuis has a new mature pitcher with a slightly longer profile. It doesn't seem right that I could enter it again this month...
    - Thez voluntarily not entering plants in contest
    I didn't plan on doing that, but I will now I might need a boot in the pants if I get lazy though, so I'm expecting you to help with that now

Dislikes:
    1. If you think people *won't* get sick of the same pitcher picture over and over again, I figure it's good for a gag if someone decides to enter the SAME plant forever ya know? I think people take this contest too seriously honestly. It is serious business, but not like dead-serious
    2. I can post in my balcony thread (see my sig) or for jokes here that won't get ranked if you'd like My plants are crappy cuz they grow outside anyway. I think it's unfair if the contest organizer also puts something in. There's some sort of psychological bias/power-struggle/getting-personally-involved-when-i-should-be-objective that gets enacted if that happens and I want this to be as fair as possibly possible; like refs for a soccer game.

And that argentii is WONDERFUL!!
    Last edited by thez_yo; 04-03-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: justification for 'dislikes 2'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    Awesome. You guys solved next to nothing here.
    T, I'm a bit mystified by this comment. Please describe what aspects of this matter remain unresolved.

Congrats on the new contest and all, but what of the POTM for the grown ups?
    My understanding is that POTM continues much as it always has, with the deletion of Rule #9. (relatively inconsequential, actually; I am sure that some people will opt to honor the rule voluntarily in spite of its deletion, and that's perfectly acceptable) Otherwise, it seems to be completely intact. Am I missing something? In what way is POTM no longer "for the grown-ups"? Just asking an honest question, not being confrontational.

Still need someone willing to take it over. Otherwise, it dies.
    And don't be fooled, there is no power involved.
    I got the impression that thez is stating that she is going to take the torch, or have I missed something else?

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    And what's wrong with that? In my experience people on Terraforums just want to see pictures of plants and don't care who grew it. If the main criteria is the grower's skill then the winning grower should not be allowed to enter the next months contest. Get rid of the ego-centric "growers/ownership" mindset and you open up the contest to photos of plants in arboretums, botanical gardens or old school grower's collections who have little time or interest in posting on forums.
    I was simply stating that up to this point in time, the contest was engineered to include grower's skill as an important factor in the contest criteria, by including a rule limiting ownership to a minimum of 6 months. If what people want instead is just a "pretty pictures of pretty pitchers" contest, then you need to engineer a very different set of rules that does not emphasize grower skills, but instead emphasize aesthetic merit, etc. There is nothing wrong with a beauty pageant style contest, but I believe the rules for such need to be very different than the current set. JMO, of course.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah buddy.. you missed post #18 I think.
    A "Plant of the Month" has begun, but what does that have to do with our POTM?
    Not sure anyone remembers our short lived ".. of the Month" contests, but they were an epic failure then too. People just couldn't handle having to follow rules.

Let me set this straight here and now..
    I no longer care to run the contest, it's rules, or anything that follows.
    I simply have enough respect for SK and his creation to "try" and not let it go to crap.
    Keeping the contest&rules exactly how they are (and have been for some time) is the only way to ensure TF's POTM contest continues month after month without issue.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast