What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month APRIL 2012!!

you risk turning the contest into a beauty pageant rather than an exercise in demonstrating the grower's skill.

And what's wrong with that? In my experience people on Terraforums just want to see pictures of plants and don't care who grew it. If the main criteria is the grower's skill then the winning grower should not be allowed to enter the next months contest. Get rid of the ego-centric "growers/ownership" mindset and you open up the contest to photos of plants in arboretums, botanical gardens or old school grower's collections who have little time or interest in posting on forums.

- the job that Mass did while leading POTM - especially adding the pics to the voting thread (probably time-consuming but nice touch that saves time for the rest of us)

Dislikes:
- losing Rule 9. My N. tenuis has a new mature pitcher with a slightly longer profile. It doesn't seem right that I could enter it again this month...
- Thez voluntarily not entering plants in contest

I didn't plan on doing that, but I will now :) I might need a boot in the pants if I get lazy though, so I'm expecting you to help with that now :p

Dislikes:
1. If you think people *won't* get sick of the same pitcher picture over and over again, I figure it's good for a gag if someone decides to enter the SAME plant forever :lol: ya know? I think people take this contest too seriously honestly. It is serious business, but not like dead-serious :0o:
2. I can post in my balcony thread (see my sig) or for jokes here that won't get ranked if you'd like :) My plants are crappy cuz they grow outside anyway. I think it's unfair if the contest organizer also puts something in. There's some sort of psychological bias/power-struggle/getting-personally-involved-when-i-should-be-objective that gets enacted if that happens and I want this to be as fair as possibly possible; like refs for a soccer game.

And that argentii is :laaa: WONDERFUL!!

Last edited:
Awesome. You guys solved next to nothing here.

T, I'm a bit mystified by this comment. Please describe what aspects of this matter remain unresolved.

Congrats on the new contest and all, but what of the POTM for the grown ups?

My understanding is that POTM continues much as it always has, with the deletion of Rule #9. (relatively inconsequential, actually; I am sure that some people will opt to honor the rule voluntarily in spite of its deletion, and that's perfectly acceptable) Otherwise, it seems to be completely intact. Am I missing something? In what way is POTM no longer "for the grown-ups"? Just asking an honest question, not being confrontational.

Still need someone willing to take it over. Otherwise, it dies.
And don't be fooled, there is no power involved.

I got the impression that thez is stating that she is going to take the torch, or have I missed something else?

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

And what's wrong with that? In my experience people on Terraforums just want to see pictures of plants and don't care who grew it. If the main criteria is the grower's skill then the winning grower should not be allowed to enter the next months contest. Get rid of the ego-centric "growers/ownership" mindset and you open up the contest to photos of plants in arboretums, botanical gardens or old school grower's collections who have little time or interest in posting on forums.

I was simply stating that up to this point in time, the contest was engineered to include grower's skill as an important factor in the contest criteria, by including a rule limiting ownership to a minimum of 6 months. If what people want instead is just a "pretty pictures of pretty pitchers" contest, then you need to engineer a very different set of rules that does not emphasize grower skills, but instead emphasize aesthetic merit, etc. There is nothing wrong with a beauty pageant style contest, but I believe the rules for such need to be very different than the current set. JMO, of course.

yeah buddy.. you missed post #18 I think.
A "Plant of the Month" has begun, but what does that have to do with our POTM?
Not sure anyone remembers our short lived ".. of the Month" contests, but they were an epic failure then too. People just couldn't handle having to follow rules.

Let me set this straight here and now..
I no longer care to run the contest, it's rules, or anything that follows.
I simply have enough respect for SK and his creation to "try" and not let it go to crap.
Keeping the contest&rules exactly how they are (and have been for some time) is the only way to ensure TF's POTM contest continues month after month without issue.

Not sure anyone remembers our short lived ".. of the Month" contests, but they were an epic failure then too. People just couldn't handle having to follow rules.

I simply have enough respect for SK and his creation to "try" and not let it go to crap.
Keeping the contest&rules exactly how they are (and have been for some time) is the only way to ensure TF's POTM contest continues month after month without issue.

i've reread comment #18---what it implies is that POTM will strictly be reserved for nepenthes, so that case has been settled. it also states that a CPOTM is started. this differs from your previous DOTM, and COTM, and whatever other #OTM that were created because this time, thez's CPOTM is completely inclusive---you could put in a nep in the POTM and/or the CPOTM if you wanted.

I dont even remember why DOTM was discontinued, and COTM just took forever and was easily forgotten since it was held every 2 months. dont recall the rules ever being complicated since the followed the same rules (more or less) as POTM.

Also, Rule #9 has been pointed out as void, due to it's non-existence from the original POTM contests. refer to pitcherplant's POTM, and here so basically, the rules are intact.

Nothing - why is it an issue?
I'm not too sure what qualifies as an "Epic failure" but trying something that may or may not work as originally planned isn't necessarily a failure in my book ... What's the harm in trying something? It's not like we all lost a bunch of investment funds or something ...

I simply have enough respect for SK and his creation to "try" and not let it go to crap. Keeping the contest&rules exactly how they are (and have been for some time) is the only way to ensure TF's POTM contest continues month after month without issue.
(Bolding is mine) - we agree to disagree on this principle (since I don't know what's changed anyway) but there is often more than one way to skin the proverbial feline ...

Congrats to Thez yo for stepping up to the plate and agreeing to take on and handle the future POTM contests.

I'm sure the POTM will be in good hands...and a lady's touch might finally bring some stability to the monthly contest here.

dvg

Not sure anyone remembers our short lived ".. of the Month" contests, but they were an epic failure then too.

I'm afraid that the other "OTM" contests predate my experience on TF, so I have to claim ignorance of this history of failures. Sorry, I didn't know.

People just couldn't handle having to follow rules.

But....but....people do apparently follow the POTM rules, so why is this now a recipe for failure? I simply don't understand the logic of that.

Again, not intending to be in any way confrontational about this, I feel the need to say that this monthly contest belongs to everyone here, and it is going to be up to the community to step up to the plate and act like adults if they wish to participate. I don't see how eliminating one relatively unimportant rule means the whole thing is going to end in anarchy and ruin. If you treat everyone like a respectful, thinking adult, then they tend to act like one. I believe people participate in POTM because they love to share their accomplishments, their grower skills, their photography skills and the beauty of the plants themselves. Every contribution enhances this sharing experience. That is the beauty of forums like this. I wouldn't want to declare anything here a failure till someone can show me the corpse!

T, I consider you a friend, and so I am trying extra hard to understand why this is upsetting you. And yet, I honestly don't see what part of this is so undesirable in your estimation. I don't think I am being dense or misunderstanding, I simply don't see a problem.

Sometimes people want to try new things and that must be embraced, even if it is doomed to failure. You don't have to agree with it, but you do have to let it have its own life. It isn't really a failure unless people choose not to look at the reasons failure occurred. Our failures teach us more than our successes.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.....here...lookit some teeth. N.hamata (please ignore the photobombing alata on the right, he's a jerk, and I'll get a nicer one without him later)

Nhamata_4-3-12.jpg

BLAH BLAH BLAH.....here...lookit some teeth. N.hamata (please ignore the photobombing alata on the right, he's a jerk, and I'll get a nicer one without him later)

Nhamata_4-3-12.jpg

Haha Exo! The plainer looking N. alata, by contrast, makes the hammie stand out more.

And really diggin' the neck stubble on this N. argentii, a species we don't often see a lot of.

Nargentii040312RS.jpg

dvg

T, I'm a bit mystified by this comment. Please describe what aspects of this matter remain unresolved.

Guess it was I that missed the part where she was going to run both threads. My mistake, I apologize.

Proceed..

@Exo: good lookin' hamata.

First: N. argentii.. . . :cry: :cry: I know who first place is for me.

Second: The link that amp posted is not even the first POTM there was on Terraforums. Here is the original from September 2009:

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119636&highlight=Pitcher+of+the+Month

Note how Kris chose the winner personally with no voting device whatsoever, the first POTM was essentially a totalitarian operation where democracy didn't exist. I am proud to say that in this realm of dictatorship my entry of N. bicalcarata was the one that won, which looking back on it now. . . . Wow! There were some other entries that should have won in a democracy! :lol:

So the argument that none of the rules should change is completely bogus. The POTM on Terraforums has been a constantly changing entity ever since its inception.

I believe rule # 9 is unnecessary because as whimgrinder said, I believe people will subconsciously respect the rule anyway. I am just less likely to vote for someone's plant if they just won. Also pitchers don't usually get significantly better in the matter of a few months.

Anywho... It doesn't affect me anyway because I will probably just submit my N. ventricosa x glandulifera which will never win a spot at all, so I can continue to submit it every single month. :-D

Niiiiiiiice! :drool:

Needs some mist droplets reflecting the light for that authentic just-off-the-mountain look, a la:

"The plant, which is believed to be extinct in the wild, continues to exist only through botanists who continually spray it with mist and keep it in very high humidity."

from my favorite tabloid http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-award-winning-debut-Chelsea-Flower-Show.html :jester:

Niiiiiiiice! :drool:

Needs some mist droplets reflecting the light for that authentic just-off-the-mountain look, a la:

"The plant, which is believed to be extinct in the wild, continues to exist only through botanists who continually spray it with mist and keep it in very high humidity."

from my favorite tabloid http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-award-winning-debut-Chelsea-Flower-Show.html :jester:

LOLOLOLOLOL :-))

*Gets out his hand sprayer for his hamata's hourly misting session*

LOLOLOLOLOL :-))

*Gets out his hand sprayer for his hamata's hourly misting session*

Yeah, I've been re-reading that EPIC QoHXKoS -> Robcantleyii thread over at the other pitcher plants forum. It's got some gems in that there thread :lol:

Man, after reading the beginnings of this thread, I was about to dispense some justice....but all the negativity seems to have evoprated in the latest posts....let see if we can keep it that way! This page four action was much nicer to read.

If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your trap shut (yes, I said it....trap) and all that.

With that in mind, those are some NICE pitchers people are posting!

Now to go get my camera, and hit the greenhouse!

I believe rule # 9 is unnecessary because as whimgrinder said, I believe people will subconsciously respect the rule anyway. I am just less likely to vote for someone's plant if they just won. Also pitchers don't usually get significantly better in the matter of a few months.

I agree. I think rule #9 will be respected and if there ever is a big problem with one plant winning every contest month after month, it can be dealt with then. :D

i am sure we are not so boring as to keep voting for the same plant,and if we are thats everyones fault

Back