What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month APRIL 2012!!

Tell that to last month's RHH. Poor thing..

Yeah seriously, I can't believe it got beaten by a 'lowly' tenuis and burkei. . .

But edwardsiana is another thing... Seriously there might be only one plant that could take argentii out of first place for me... :poke:

Yah last month's results don't count in my mind

Ha ha He is showing off again...

Love it JH

No...its not that...Cornell is a very professional website. Im just surprised (and so are most of us) that a vetchi X lowii with such an incredible peristome would be voted into last place. Poor plant. Also, it's not common to see a vetch X lowii everyday either, too.

Yea, I agree. It's to biased... Maybe people can submit entries anonymously ???

So are you guys saying you do believe Cornell's site got hacked and we should have the vote as a poll on this forum instead of at Cornell? The rules voting thread says keep Cornell by 28 to 7 here http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130353

I'm not suggesting it got hacked or anything like that, I imagine whoever voted for whatever reason they voted...

I personally think it would be cool to have the poll be entirely run on Terraforums though. I don't see why not? It would also keep people who aren't registered users from voting (if that's even a problem).

So are you guys saying you do believe Cornell's site got hacked and we should have the vote as a poll on this forum instead of at Cornell?
I don't know if there is any solid proof of hacking - just some unusual observations coupled with some unusual results.

The rules voting thread says keep Cornell by 28 to 7
Due to the way the poll was conducted (a long list of checkboxes), I'm not inclined to believe that an informed group of people would duplicate this result when presented with the suspicions & the options.

I'm not familiar with TF polling and the methodology used and if it can provide similar results to the complex method currently in use. However, if the technology is robust, why not switch to a poll that is immune to hacking (or at least appears to be) and has little downside? Personally, my observations of last month's poll leave me not feeling that the results are robust. Should the decision be made to keep the current polling method, I'm not certain I'll participate (winning under tainted circumstances really doesn't feel like winning - personal experience speaking here).

HAhaha so maybe I'll just make a poll on TF and wait for the hatemail :awesome: if I don't get any threats it'll just slip under the rug and we'll keep doing it here, yeah?

Yea, I agree. It's to biased... Maybe people can submit entries anonymously ???

Nah...they can't. I showed my family the POTM pictures and they fell in love with the lowii X veitchi. They tried to vote for it, but it wouldn't allow them to. Im pretty sure it tags the IP address.

Usually the whole 'we have a winner' thing is a half joke, this is not one of those times!
By the way, is that an Eddy drooling?! Growing one is one thing, making one drool is on a whole other level.

Yup! its plants like JH's that remind me that the class system still exists and how low class citizens my plants are. Insanity...that eddie is just breathtaking.

I'm not certain I'll participate (winning under tainted circumstances really doesn't feel like winning - personal experience speaking here).

Honestly it's not unheard of that you won, your pitcher is beautiful, it's just a little surprising to me is all. I still don't think there was any funny business.

HAhaha so maybe I'll just make a poll on TF and wait for the hatemail :awesome: if I don't get any threats it'll just slip under the rug and we'll keep doing it here, yeah?

Do that Thez, I don't see why you'd get any hate mail. A poll is a poll!

This is a dead parrot!

I think that the N. tenuis or N. burbidgeae were the winners, not the RHH but that's just me.

I also don't think the contest is biased, at least when I vote I don't take into consideration who was the grower. Just because the entry that one person thought should've won, and didn't, doesn't mean that something was fishy, how many winners do you want then? Obviously not everyone is going to agree on which entry is the winner, but that is why a poll is held, to gather the generalized idea of what the voting pool demonstartes to be the winner, and not every single opinion on its own.

I admit that last month's poll was odd, maybe someone wanted to win badly, but I haven't seen something like this occur before, and I don't think because it happened once, that the entire contest has been a lie.

I think this thread should only be for the entries and corresponding commets on them, speculation will lead us nowhere.

Last edited:
The problem with voting using the TF poll system is that someone who has multiple email addresses can register multiple user names here and vote numerous times. I believe the old system is better than the polls for that reason, at least the low life who wants to cheat and ruin it has to put more leg work into it by using multiple IP addresses. I know I have 3 email addresses for different reasons and if I wanted, in 5 minutes, I could have 3 different TF user names to vote someone's Ventrata first and JH's eddie last.

must admit i would rather vote for an entry by someone who is active in the forum community ie when someone needs advice and not for someone who never seems to post or help with the problems of others and only posts when they have a stunning pither in POTM,that is my bias and i am sticking to it

So are you guys saying you do believe Cornell's site got hacked and we should have the vote as a poll on this forum instead of at Cornell? The rules voting thread says keep Cornell by 28 to 7 here http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130353

I also agree. Whilst there may be people petty enough to vote someone down based on other things apart from the pitcher, I think making another account is a bit too much effort for something as light-hearted as this competition (hopefully) is.

don't think my point is petty,i think it is petty to enter a mostly amateur comp when you know you will win,and have also entered in numerous other more pro POTM comps on other forums,but thats just me i guess

Back