What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month APRIL 2012!!

Extremely awesome. Luckily for the rest of us it's not properly labeled. :-D

And lucky for him the rule Nazi is no longer running the show.

Hey...I labeled it in my first post!....it's an update!

I hope I'm not said Rule Nazi...

Here is my entry. Just an ordinary nep but is a simply beautiful one in my collection.

N. talangensis
talan2.jpg

talan3.jpg

Gorgeous! Great job on that plant. I personally don't think N. talangensis is ordinary at all.

Yeah talan is like a spotted jacquie :love:

Nothing ordinary about that thing...possibly the nicest talang I've ever seen. ;)

That is nice. Probably the best coloration I've seen on one so far.

Just wait until June, that's when I'm entering my precious.

stunning talang,i am still waiting for mine to pitcher again after we fell out

This rule exists for a reason: one of the purposes of the contest is to illustrate the persons growing skills, and with slow growing genera like Nepenthes, you can't say that you have demonstrated any "skill" in growing any individual plant in less than six months time. I agree with that concept. In fact, I would be inclined to make that 12 months, rather than 6. Then you are really demonstrating some skill in cultivating Nepenthes!

I was contemplating submitting a photo, but I can't because most of my neps I've had for ~4months or less. That being said I really, really disagree with this statement. I understand not wanting people to enter photos of a pitcher on a plant they just acquired but.. how often do you get a nep mailed to you with pristine pitchers on it? Who here would even do that?

How is it not a demonstration of my skill to have a plant less than ~4 months and have had 3-4 pitchers develop while in my care? Makes no sense to me. If the plant is growing, then it's growing; if you've had even one pitcher develop in your care, that's a demonstration of growing skill. You can grow these plants, or you can't. That's how I see it.

I was contemplating submitting a photo, but I can't because most of my neps I've had for ~4months or less. That being said I really, really disagree with this statement. I understand not wanting people to enter photos of a pitcher on a plant they just acquired but.. how often do you get a nep mailed to you with pristine pitchers on it? Who here would even do that?

How is it not a demonstration of my skill to have a plant less than ~4 months and have had 3-4 pitchers develop while in my care? Makes no sense to me. If the plant is growing, then it's growing; if you've had even one pitcher develop in your care, that's a demonstration of growing skill. You can grow these plants, or you can't. That's how I see it.

I'm sure Whimgrinder would argue that if you are growing outside or in a climate that has extreme summers or winters that a full year would truly demonstrate your ability to deal with these temperature and humidity extremes.

Even in my humble terrarium I experience seasonal differences... But I'm mostly with you on this one. 4 months is plenty of time to say that your plant is doing well in your care. Honestly the difference between your care and the care of the person who had it before starts pretty much when you open the package. If it continues pitchering you're doing something right... And not everyone uses greenhouses or lives in places where the summers are too hot.

I'm sure Whimgrinder would argue that if you are growing outside or in a climate that has extreme summers or winters that a full year would truly demonstrate your ability to deal with these temperature and humidity extremes.

Even in my humble terrarium I experience seasonal differences... But I'm mostly with you on this one. 4 months is plenty of time to say that your plant is doing well in your care. Honestly the difference between your care and the care of the person who had it before starts pretty much when you open the package. If it continues pitchering you're doing something right... And not everyone uses greenhouses or lives in places where the summers are too hot.

Actually, no, I have no interest in arguing over the issue. Its just my opinion. I'm free to have one, and so are all of you. Feel free to completely dismiss mine if you wish; I won't be offended or hurt. Its just an opinion. :) I really don't care one way or the other. The community can choose whatever rules it deems worthwhile and meaningful. If I don't like it, I will refrain from participating, that's all :)

I understand not wanting people to enter photos of a pitcher on a plant they just acquired but.. how often do you get a nep mailed to you with pristine pitchers on it? Who here would even do that?

It's sad that I purposely have to mash all the pristine pitchers up with a meat mallet before mailing just so people won't enter them into the contest! AHHH no not really but I do crack me up! ;>

You made me nervous for a second Tony. :lol:

What's the big deal, just wait the alloted time, actually my N. veitchii K has been with me for 6+ months now and it went by quickly, plus in those extra motnhs you could get an even better pitcher than the ome you originally wanted to enter ;)

Lol Tony... :lol:

Receiving those malleted Nepenthes is one of my favorite things ever!

I'm getting one of Tony's N. x Malletensis ASAP! I hear they are very rare and quite affordable!

Actually, no, I have no interest in arguing over the issue. Its just my opinion. I'm free to have one, and so are all of you. Feel free to completely dismiss mine if you wish; I won't be offended or hurt. Its just an opinion. :) I really don't care one way or the other. The community can choose whatever rules it deems worthwhile and meaningful. If I don't like it, I will refrain from participating, that's all :)

Oh Whim, I totally wasn't meaning to bring it all the way back up to this page just to argue. Sorry if it seemed that way. Just that maybe it could be thought about a little bit so someone like myself doesn't have to wait two months to participate, when I/we clearly have skill in growing nepenthes. Just a thought for future contests.

It's sad that I purposely have to mash all the pristine pitchers up with a meat mallet before mailing just so people won't enter them into the contest! AHHH no not really but I do crack me up! ;>

Haha..!

Though silly, It's really the only reason I could think of to have a rule like that. All the plants I get in the mail have shriveled or broken pitchers.. and if they did come looking perfect, who would post a photo of it here like it grew in their care? I just don't see that happening considering the awesome community we have here.

What's the big deal, just wait the alloted time, actually my N. veitchii K has been with me for 6+ months now and it went by quickly, plus in those extra motnhs you could get an even better pitcher than the ome you originally wanted to enter ;)

The big deal is that I'd like to participate now. :p And didn't agree with the reasoning behind the rule.

Oh Whim, I totally wasn't meaning to bring it all the way back up to this page just to argue. Sorry if it seemed that way. Just that maybe it could be thought about a little bit so someone like myself doesn't have to wait two months to participate, when I/we clearly have skill in growing nepenthes.

The big deal is that I'd like to participate now.

1) I believe someone suggested a separate monthly contest for growers anxious to show off their plants in the 3 to 6 month range. I'm all for it, if you want to start such a thing going.

2) I waited the six months, and at the six month point, the plants I had to show were FAR nicer than they were at 3 months. Just sayin', not arguin'!

Paul

Back