Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fudgecicles! Mealybugs! :(

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See this thread unfortunately many of the pictures are no longer available
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is most likely boisduval scale. photo here http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/...al_scale08.jpg

Back when I grew orchids I used to keep a bottle of 50% or 70% alcohol with a few drops of dawn dish detergent (as a sticker spreader) in it with a trigger sprayer (with the pickup tube cut to length to fit the alcohol bottle) on it just for killing these little suckers. After spraying the plant with this solution the buggers will be dead. The female scales will just flick right off after a couple of days. The alcohol will have killed the females hiding under the little domes that normally protect them from insecticides. No need to rinse the plants after applying this solution. I used it on orchids and nepenthes with no ill effects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not noticed any negative impacts on pitcher plants (neps, cephs, sarrs) from either acephate or imidacloprid-based pesticides. However, the Ortho acephate-based pesticide has one of the most foul, nasty, penetrating odors of any I've used. I would not willingly use it inside a house.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Mach. You have more experience with these critters I am sure!

Fortunately I have never had to deal with this specific pest. I have seen it a number of times though on various forums and it almost always seems to start with a plant sent over from Hawaii

Everyone elses suggestions are good. Systemic insecticide is best. This type of pest is capable of hiding in the smallest cracks and down below the soil line so the only way to be really sure to get them all and protect against reinfestation from eggs as they hatch after treatment, is with a systemic. Deffinately treat more than just the plants which you see the pests. Most likely they have spread beyond those few plants. If they are all in your Ghouse though it shouldn't be too hard to spray everything down with 2 or 3 treatments a couple weeks apart.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably not what you want to hear..but..
    I have been battling scale on houseplants for years..I have tried everything.
    After much trial and error, I now have only one method I use:

as soon as I see scale on a plant, I throw it away..

nothing else is as effective, and its the best method to prevent it from migrating to other plants..
    sorry, but thats 25 years of experience and frustration talking..

Scot

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of Bayer Advanced should I get? There's like 700 different kinds on their website...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Scotty on this one: isolate and discard is my philosophy. Scale is one of the most insidious pests you can have the misfortune of acquiring. I would be having words with the nursery/person I got the infested plant from.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast