Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fudgecicles! Mealybugs! :(

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to throw away the entire collection... It's all been exposed, there's nothing I can do now.

The place has an extremely good reputation and people order from them online all the time... Nothing was apparent on any of the plants until a month or two ago. Can't I just spray with Bayer Advanced to keep it under control?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I'm with Scotty on this one: isolate and discard is my philosophy. Scale is one of the most insidious pests you can have the misfortune of acquiring.
    Since his whole tank is likely infected by now, this is pretty severe advice. When I had a scale infestation on my VFTs & outside Cephs a few years ago, I used several spaced sprayings of Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer (imidacloprid-based) and this wiped them out.

Maybe I had a wimpy species ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you link me to the product you used so I know what to get?

IMHO, these little tiny bugs aren't really posing a huge threat. I don't see any places where the leaf has been eaten and the plant is doing better than ever. I could see how it would be a problem when I have tons of them, but if I use the insecticide and frequent manual removal, it shouldn't be an issue. Just my opinion though, I've never had to deal with plant parasites before...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the stuff I used. The instructions say it only kills scale in the crawler stage but it killed attached scale for me.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    ^ That's what has been on my N. densiflora x spectabilis. I never see them move around so I didn't suspect that's what it was. They are really, really tiny, so tiny you can't even tell what they are. They were pretty much all over the leaves of the plant. Luckily, they didn't spread to the rest of my collection. I wiped all that I could see off of the plant... They never left any of those patches like in the pic, all I saw were little tiny white speckles everywhere. Not on any of the neighboring plants. The infected plant had been with the rest of the collection for four months, so...
    I'm not going to throw away the entire collection... It's all been exposed, there's nothing I can do now.
    Yesterday only one plant was infected..today all are?
    no, you dont know that they are all exposed, and that there is nothing you can do now..
    throwing away the one plant is still the best solution IMO..

but if you want to treat the one plant (rather than throw it away) then at least isolate it from the resto of your collection..but dont assume your whole collection is infected if you have no evidence of that..

How many plants are we dealing with?
    can you easily move the one somewhere else?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Yesterday only one plant was infected..today all are?
    no, you dont know that they are all exposed, and that there is nothing you can do now..
    throwing away the one plant is still the best solution IMO..

but if you want to treat the one plant (rather than throw it away) then at least isolate it from the resto of your collection..but dont assume your whole collection is infected if you have no evidence of that..

How many plants are we dealing with?
    can you easily move the one somewhere else?

Scot
    Didn't see any on the other plants when I posted, but now I do. I'll treat the entire collection with Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer. I'm dealing with nine plants, not small, but not big. They're all in the terrarium right now, but will be moved to the greenhouse within the next two weeks where they can be spaced out. I have 50% shade cloth, a swamp cooler and a heater on the way. Just need to install everything then acclimate the plants. It would probably be easiest to treat the entire collection outside where they can be spaced apart and covered with the pesticide from all angles.

Does the Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer smell really bad? Does it need to be applied in a ventilated area, or can I just apply it in the greenhouse with the door open?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's what has been on my N. densiflora x spectabilis. I never see them move around so I didn't suspect that's what it was. They are really, really tiny, so tiny you can't even tell what they are. They were pretty much all over the leaves of the plant. Luckily, they didn't spread to the rest of my collection. I wiped all that I could see off of the plant... They never left any of those patches like in the pic, all I saw were little tiny white speckles everywhere. Not on any of the neighboring plants. The infected plant had been with the rest of the collection for four months, so...

What dangers do mealybugs pose to my collection? Any Nepenthes/SPHAGNUM-safe insecticides?
    oh wait..thats not actually your photo?
    you should have clarified that..
    because now we really dont know exactly what you are referring to..
    the "patches" in that photo do look like scale..
    but then you say "They never left any of those patches like in the pic"..what you mean by "patches" then? any chance you can post a photo of your actual plant?
    It might not be scale at all..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    It might not be scale at all..
    To follow up, try to get a positive ID so you are not wasting time/money trying to eradicate springtails ...
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast