Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fudgecicles! Mealybugs! :(

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fudgecicles! Mealybugs! :(

^ That's what has been on my N. densiflora x spectabilis. I never see them move around so I didn't suspect that's what it was. They are really, really tiny, so tiny you can't even tell what they are. They were pretty much all over the leaves of the plant. Luckily, they didn't spread to the rest of my collection. I wiped all that I could see off of the plant... They never left any of those patches like in the pic, all I saw were little tiny white speckles everywhere. Not on any of the neighboring plants. The infected plant had been with the rest of the collection for four months, so...

What dangers do mealybugs pose to my collection? Any Nepenthes/SPHAGNUM-safe insecticides?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not mealybugs.. but a form of scale. Cycad scale or something like that
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    How should I treat it? Will safers or neem work for this?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had my fair share of battle with scale. I suggest a dual method: Manual removal....basically....use rubbing alcohol, cotton swabs and brush off all the scale you can see. If the plant is tough, you can actually do the orchid method of using a brush and dipping it in the alcohol and brushing it free of any scale. I would also repot the plant...basically unpot it...clean it and then repot it.

Chemical treatment...I suggest either Orthenex (spray can or concentrate...stinks)... or Bayer Rose and Insect killer. But make sure you do the repeat treatments every 2wks or so atleast 3-4 times carefully examining the plants at very closeup.

Btw...repotting is not practical many times, so thats fine...just alcohol removal and chemical treatment is fine.

btw...much of this method is what I learnt from our resident experts like Tony, Capslock and a lot of other experienced growers here. So this is not my own technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I have had my fair share of battle with scale. I suggest a dual method: Manual removal....basically....use rubbing alcohol, cotton swabs and brush off all the scale you can see. If the plant is tough, you can actually do the orchid method of using a brush and dipping it in the alcohol and brushing it free of any scale. I would also repot the plant...basically unpot it...clean it and then repot it.

Chemical treatment...I suggest either Orthenex (spray can or concentrate...stinks)... or Bayer Rose and Insect killer. But make sure you do the repeat treatments every 2wks or so atleast 3-4 times carefully examining the plants at very closeup.

Btw...repotting is not practical many times, so thats fine...just alcohol removal and chemical treatment is fine.

btw...much of this method is what I learnt from our resident experts like Tony, Capslock and a lot of other experienced growers here. So this is not my own technique.
    Do I have to dilute Orthenex/Bayer Rose for Nepenthes? Is it safe for sphagnum?

After further inspection, I see a bit on a few of the surrounding plants, but not too much.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orthene (Acephate) is no longer sold by Ortho. For non-professional use It is now made by Bonide. Look for their Sysstemic Insect Control. This is a concentrate and should be diluted according to the instructions for the type of pest and application method. It is not available in AK, CA, and HI.

Both Acephate and the Bayer Advanced should be safe for use on Nepenthes and Sphagnum moss as long as you follow the directions and recommended concentrations.

Note: the crawlers (nymph phase) can spread to your other plants on their own. The crawlers and eggs can also be transferred on your hands, hair, clothes or gardening implements. Take care when handling the infected plants not to handle your other plants afterwards without cleanup.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 04-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Tony your ID of the critter in the pic is spot on.
    I have never seen cycad scales on anything but cycads. However based on the pic is not a nep and is a cycad I am assuming pineapple found this to be the most similar to what is infesting his plants. Probably the abundant smaller elongate scales which are males are causing this confusion. If I had to guess need to compare with hibiscus snow scale. Common on neps and potentially bad really bad. It will reproduce quickly if given a chance. Use the treatment regiments suggested. But always watch for them me cause they will come back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Located a store with Bayer Advanced. I'll spray the plants and sphagnum down with that. Thanks for mentioning the thing about how they will spread to hands and hair... I'll go take a shower now, I'm officially paranoid. All of the plants are mingling in the terrarium... Leaves touching, sphagnum touching, pots touching, ect... So crap... And you mention they're really, really bad. What threats do they pose to the neps, other than looking like crap?

I was talking about this issue in the chat box... Will manual removal with rubbing alcohol on cotton swabs work, in addition to treatments of Bayer Advanced?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast