What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the month rules voting!

Should the rules be kept or changed?

• Keep rule 1 as it is.

Votes: 35 100.0%
  • Change rule 1.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep rule 2 as it is.

Votes: 35 100.0%
  • Change rule 2.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep rule 3 as it is.

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • Change rule 3.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Keep rule 4 as it is.

Votes: 32 91.4%
  • Change rule 4.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Keep rule 5 as it is.

• Change rule 5.

• Keep rule 6 as it is.

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • Change rule 6.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keep rule 7 as it is.

• Change rule 7.

• Keep rule 8 as it is.

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • Change rule 8.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Keep rule 9 as it is.

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • Change rule 9.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Keep rule 10 as it is.

Votes: 34 97.1%
  • Change rule 10.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Keep rule 11 as it is.

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Change rule 11.

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Err, I think voting should be limited to selecting the top three, that way the persons on the bottom won't be hurt. Plus those results are the only ones that matter.

I think that rule number nine should be changed or remain the same. I think that if someone has a flowering sized rajah they probably have something else nice they can enter and they would avoid entering the same plant twice.

I think the six month rule is great, I think it allows the true skill of the grower to be seen.

Err, I think voting should be limited to selecting the top three, that way the persons on the bottom won't be hurt. Plus those results are the only ones that matter.

I totally agree. I also think that it would be best to hide the results while the competition is going. Then, when the results are announced, only the top three will be announced.

The 6+ months growing in your possession is totally fine by me - these are long term plants and 6 months is nothing in the big picture of Nepenthes growing.

I voted to keep rule eight the same too. I think six months is the perfect amount of time for you to have the plant. I think that after six months, you aren't entering your plant from someplace, you're entering your plant.

On rule nine I voted to keep it the same. I think that the chances of winning in the top three repeatedly may be slim. I think the pattern we would see is someone placing every three or every other month. People might not be as quick to realize that it has won just recently. :D

FYI: Vote on rule 11 has been changed for another person to "change rule".

Could you please change my vote to "change rule"? Thanks!

I have a suggestion for another rule: No image editing besides cropping. It's pretty easy to enhance a picture, or brighten it. People could use this to brighten colors, or darken reds on certain plants. I think cropping should be allowed though, because it dosen't alter the colors of the picture. Just a thought...

Actually, this is something I'd like to see change. While the voting methodology appears to be robust (& beyond my ability to grasp), it is vulnerable to voting fraud (thru simple IP address spoofing). While I'd prefer to believe that no one gets that serious over a simple photo contest, possible irregularities within last month's voting causes me to prefer the poll mechanism within TF.
Edit: oops - yes I meant rule 11

apologies! i meant rule 11 not rule 10!

Alex

Could you please change my vote to "change rule"? Thanks!

I have a suggestion for another rule: No image editing besides cropping. It's pretty easy to enhance a picture, or brighten it. People could use this to brighten colors, or darken reds on certain plants. I think cropping should be allowed though, because it dosen't alter the colors of the picture. Just a thought...

A skilled photographer knows the difference between "tuning" a photo and "gross exaggeration" editing. I have found the photographers posting photos on TF know the difference and exercise restraint and good judgement in regard to image editing.

Back