User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Should the rules be kept or changed?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep rule 1 as it is.

35 100.00%
  • Change rule 1.

0 0%
  • Keep rule 2 as it is.

35 100.00%
  • Change rule 2.

0 0%
  • Keep rule 3 as it is.

33 94.29%
  • Change rule 3.

1 2.86%
  • Keep rule 4 as it is.

32 91.43%
  • Change rule 4.

3 8.57%
  • Keep rule 5 as it is.

32 91.43%
  • Change rule 5.

3 8.57%
  • Keep rule 6 as it is.

33 94.29%
  • Change rule 6.

2 5.71%
  • Keep rule 7 as it is.

32 91.43%
  • Change rule 7.

3 8.57%
  • Keep rule 8 as it is.

28 80.00%
  • Change rule 8.

7 20.00%
  • Keep rule 9 as it is.

26 74.29%
  • Change rule 9.

9 25.71%
  • Keep rule 10 as it is.

34 97.14%
  • Change rule 10.

1 2.86%
  • Keep rule 11 as it is.

28 80.00%
  • Change rule 11.

7 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pitcher of the month rules voting!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pitcher of the month rules voting!

thez_yo requested a poll so we could figure out what the you all want from this contest! So here the options are, open for one week.

You get to make up to 11 choices... Pick keep or change for each rule. If one is voted by majority to be changed... That will be addressed later.
    Andrew

Specifically rule #9 is the one being addressed here I believe....

The rules as they currently are:
    1. Only ONE (1) PITCHER per member may be entered in any particular month.
    2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
    3. All entries must be clearly identified.
    4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
    5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 04/30/12
    6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
    7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher entered must be clearly identified in your post.
    8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo.
    9. Any plant(s) that have finished in the top 3 may not be reentered again for the following 90 days.
    10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
    11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 05/01/12, closing 05/05/12 and using the Condorcet Internet Voting Service (Beatpath/Schulze/CSSD completion rule). The THREE (3) most popular entries (according to "proportional representation") will be considered "Winners" and the top 3 places will be posted in the 'Hall of Fame" sub-board.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Make sure to note that rule 9 is shown here.... so if you want it gone, vote correctly. I just don't want people to assume that this is how it is for the April contest recently started with rule 9 already removed. If you voted incorrectly, PM me.
    Andrew
    Last edited by adnedarn; 04-05-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.o well I was going to post in the thread that I always ment to modify rule 9 to the same pitcher could not be entered again in general, that way the same plant could be... The rule was in place more to keep people who grow plants like hamata, villosa, edwardsiana or other plants that usually take the first three spots from taking it over and over again and allowing others a chance to stand out... Personally i never intended the competition to get this popular but I'm glad to see it did... I just don't want it to turn into something that's just not fun anymore... If you want to change the rule from ownership of the plant from 6 mo to 3, I'm ok with that too.. Coulda just asked

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    I just don't want it to turn into something that's just not fun anymore...
    Sorry it came to this TF, but that's exactly what happened to me.
    I just wanted to keep POTM going the best I could. It's one of the few things I can look forward to every month.
    However, I'm to the point I don't even want to enter my plants anymore.
    Thank you Thez for keeping it going.
    I hope now everyone can continue to enjoy it as much as I used to.

I vote the 6 month rule stays. It's a good show of growmanship. And that is a real word according to "Mass's Rules and Regulations".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to the more debated options:
    Rule 8: keep it at 6 months (or possibly longer). when i grew aristolochiodes, the thing grew fine for me for about 4-5 months, getting bigger and pitchering well, then it just died... poof. same thing with my muluensis x lowii. if you can keep a nepenthes alive for 3 months, thats great! in my eyes, PoTM is a contest showing prestige in your plants. it shows that these plants have been in your care long enough that you understand how it grows. if anything, this rule should be extended to longer times, not shorter ones.

Rule 9: keep this rule as well. i dont want to see the same plant win every month. oh wow! look at that rajah pitcher! thats incredible!--- oh another rajah pitcher? thats cool---- rajah...again? show some variety in your plants guys and gals! besides. say your plant's pitcher gets top three, there is a strong possibility that in three months your plant will have an even better pitcher.

Rule 10: i love this voting method... how would YOU change it?

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    However, I'm to the point I don't even want to enter my plants anymore.
    But this is what I don't get, why?

The competition has gotten incredibly harder as each month goes by. Is that why? It just means that actually winning a place carries with it more prestige.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. That's not why.. I enjoy the competition.
    Maybe if people purposely vote you into dead last month after month you'd understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    Rule 10: i love this voting method... how would YOU change it?
    Actually, this is something I'd like to see change. While the voting methodology appears to be robust (& beyond my ability to grasp), it is vulnerable to voting fraud (thru simple IP address spoofing). While I'd prefer to believe that no one gets that serious over a simple photo contest, possible irregularities within last month's voting causes me to prefer the poll mechanism within TF.
    Edit: oops - yes I meant rule 11
    Last edited by RL7836; 04-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhhh, I think Andrew want to hold off discussion until after the poll closes. Otherwise we could end up spinning our wheels discussing points that only one or two people would like changed.

Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Pick keep or change for each rule. If one is voted by majority to be changed... That will be addressed later.
    Andrew
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast