What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premature Pitchers Opening?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
My N. jacquelineae just opened a 1/3" pitcher, compared to the last two 1" pitchers it opened. It didn't have time to turn the first bit of red, as the other pitchers did. What could be the cause of this? ???

I'm not much of a nep grower, but I think it could be because of low humidity, or stress from climate change.

My ventricosa did this sometimes, but the pitcher still grew to its' full size. The persitome was messed up though.

If you just recently received this plant, this is to be expected. In fact, many Nepenthes won't pitcher at all until they have had a few months to settle in.

I bought the plant about two months ago. The first pitcher was 1/5 of the way formed and it formed perfectly. The next pitcher formed while in my care. The humidity is around 80% during the day and 90% at night. Doesn't make sense to me. I guess it could still be settling in, I'll see how the next pitcher goes. Hopefully it does like Devon says and continues to grow and color up. The peristome looks fine, but the lid is really tiny. ???

The rule of Nepenthes pitchering: don't expect every tendril to make a pitcher, no matter how old the plant or how long you've had it. Not every pitcher will be a beauty queen; so many factors determine pitcher quality. Many growers get smaller and smaller pitchers (if any at all!) during the short, dull days of winter. Two months is not long enough to be able to say the plant has fully settled in. Perhaps by the time it had finished pitcher #1 and #2, it had exhausted the carbohydrates it had stored prior to your acquisition of it, and pitcher #3 got the short end of the stick, so to speak. Too many factors to take into account, dude! Give it at least another two months before you start judging its performance. Seriously.

Most of my plants produce significantly smaller pitchers during the winter. Some plants grown indoors under artificial lighting, even if given the same amount of light per day, will still see seasonal changes. It's genetic.

Back