Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Decapitation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes Decapitation?

While repotting and pruning my N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x truncata today, I accidently cut the stem near the soil line decapitating the plant. I am disappointed since I normally don't make mistakes like that. Apart from trying to get cuttings from the actual stem itself, what are the chances of the plant regrowing from the root ball/cut stem? Should I wait and see, or should I throw the root ball out?

Plant was in great condition and was growing like no other nep in my care. This of course before I, in Henry the VIII fashion, offed its head.
    Last edited by SpakR; 04-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh gosh that sucks. I don't know if it will come back but you could try to root the part you cut off. That happened to me once but luckily it was a ventrta. Now I'm extremly carefull when cutting off dead leaves in a bushy plant.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear that!

I've heard that plants will shoot up little sprouts from a cut base. One TF member had somebody cut one of their nepenthes down at the base and tons of people agrees that it would grow back.

Chop up the vine and root the cuttings IMO. Never have cut nepenthes before, so get somebody else's opinion on how to chop up the vine before you go ahead and do that. Or just try to root the whole vine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have trimmed -- intentionally or otherwise -- some Nepenthes down to the soil; and they occasionanally come back . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    neps are pretty good at coming back from death i think. i left my truncataXsplendiana in the windowsill for way too long without water, it dried out completely and pretty much cooked for two weeks in the sun... i cut off all the dead stuff and just kept watering it and it came back...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millipede View Post
    neps are pretty good at coming back from death i think. i left my truncataXsplendiana in the windowsill for way too long without water, it dried out completely and pretty much cooked for two weeks in the sun... i cut off all the dead stuff and just kept watering it and it came back...
    You may actually be referring to me and my N. gracilis. I'm happy to inform you that it started growing back from one growing point so far.
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback, you all. I am hoping that the plant will grow back. I had it for 8 months, (was a 6" diameter and before today it was 18", due to coffee fertilization). So, I no longer use coffee (actually espresso), to fertilize my neps as I don't personally enjoy massive growth spurts. It makes me feel like I am cheating.
    Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never know, but it's DEFINATELY worth saving to see. The roots and stem base are obviously still alive, so there's a really good chance of it popping back. If nothing happens after a year, then toss it.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast