What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
So recently I've been noticing that a lot of my neps have been falling "ill" to a mysterious affliction. Basically waht happens is that a developing leaves start getting some weird brown patternings under the leaves, eventually the leaf only opens partly, and sometimes this "thing" causes deformities to some leaves.

I almost lost my N. ventricosa "cream pitchers" from what i suspect is the same affliction, I decided to cut the main GP, because basals had developed. the Basals are completely clean and growing quickly.

So any insight into what this might be, recently my N. spectabilis x aristolochioides, and N. jamban have developed deformities in the leaves. I have no Idea whats going on, I've checked the plants for bug with a magnifying glass, and I can't find anything, and no sign of webs anywhere either.

Here are pictures to get an idea, sorry for the lighting . . .

N. vent x ( vent x xTM) - Notice how the leaves curl toward the base
DSC03299.jpg

Notice he same curling at the base, note that the previous leaf is flat at the base where it "grasps" the stem.
DSC03296.jpg

DSC03295.jpg

Note the Roughness of this leaf
DSC03294.jpg

N. diatas has had it for a while, seems to recover for a bit, and gets it again.
DSC03293.jpg

DSC03292.jpg

DSC03291.jpg

DSC03290.jpg

N. ventricosa x hamata has gotten it badly aswell
DSC03289.jpg

DSC03288.jpg

So dust of those $15 Botanical MD certificates you bought on eBay and help :p

I'm kind of shooting in the dark but maybe rust? ???

Neem everything. When my plants look like that, it's thrips.

Neem everything. When my plants look like that, it's thrips.

Sorry I failed to mention this, but I've been neeming and it doesn't seem to have any effect?

EDIT - Now that you mention it, after googling, I have seen those critters I believe in my pots :ohno:

Uh oh, that sounds bad. Could you try dry ice bombing them?

Sorry I failed to mention this, but I've been neeming and it doesn't seem to have any effect?

EDIT - Now that you mention it, after googling, I have seen those critters I believe in my pots :ohno:

Might be springtails too though so make sure you get the right diagnosis.

I saw a small slender black bug in one of my pots the other day but I usually check my plants every couple of days for any signs of stress or pests and didn't see any damage. Any chance it could be thrips? I'm going to do a more thorough check tomorrow.

Deformed new growth is usually thrips. And if you look in the photo with the N. truncataish leaf.. it's got alot of yellow spotting which is a fungal leaf spot. So I think you have more than one issue.

Did you just water before photographing? Everything is wet.. are they always that wet frequently?

Just wanted to show a pic of two dark spots on my hamata's leaf. I kind of never really thought about them until this thread. This is the only pic I could find of it, the dark spots are on the leaf with new pitcher. What do you guys think ???

IMG_0045.jpg

Deformed new growth is usually thrips. And if you look in the photo with the N. truncataish leaf.. it's got alot of yellow spotting which is a fungal leaf spot. So I think you have more than one issue.

Did you just water before photographing? Everything is wet.. are they always that wet frequently?

Yes, I forgot to take a picture of my N. robcantleyi, which is also going under some stuff. I had just misted the plants, I mist at night and in the morning only, but maybe you're right about them being too wet.

What do you recommend Tony? Thanks for responding :)

Thrips are very mobile and not around when you are looking for them. So any sort of kill on contact pesticide will miss them. Not sure if neem has any sort of residual effect? Personally I would go with a systemic like Orthene, but I don't have to deal with an indoor terrarium. Nepenthes are pretty tolerant to most chemicals so I would just go to the hardware store and find a general purpose insecticide that is non oil based and will work on thrips. If it isn't a systemic type then be sure it has a week or two of residual control after application. Also refrain from misting.. you don't want to wash the pesticide off. Plan on 2 or 3 treatments a couple weeks apart or so.

I don't know what's available in Canada but see this thread.

I second Orthenex, I've used it in the past with excellent results. Also may want to look into a fungicide, I agree with Tony, I see some other potential issues.

Thank you for the recommmendations everyone! Hopefully I can stop these buggers!

These seedlings ahve been growing slowly for the past year, until a few months ago where they started speeding up. I noticed last week they've been turning bronze-brown colour from green, i don't think its due to light since ligh levels haven't really changed. Anyone have any idea if anything is wrong or is it just me? Could this be caused by overly wet media?

DSC03532.jpg

my top possibilities are:
1) media degradation
2) neps are beginning to become temp sensitive
3) overly wet media

Media degradation was in my mind aswell, also the media has been staying more wet lately, I guess I should go ahead with repotting them as had thought. Now, to see if I have any media :p

late to the table here , but do you have good air circulation, Add a fan, it will help cut down on overly wet leaves,
it does look a bit damp in the grow area, are these in a tank or in the open air , crowding can be a real problem can you move the plants a few more inches apart, or to another grow space.
i grow in a terrarium almost exclusively, and have to watch out . for the same kind of problem, IMO its the damp conditions , especially if you see no bugs, but dont rule them ou, t i would still do what tony has suggested. it cant hurt.

My aristo looks like that and the leaves have that bumpy texture. I was told it was the start of root rot. Your medium looks pretty wet too. Is it that wet?

Back