What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.monticola vs. sp Doorman's Top #2

thez_yo

instigator
After this last round of renaming, reclassifying and splitting up species (the Sarracenia splitters? OMG) I see that Wistuba has renamed some things to align with new taxonomy classifications (have I said this correctly?). Looking at Wistuba's New Guinean plants, I see that there still exists a 'sp Doorman's top #2' which is supposedly N. Papuana maybe and yet there's also a N.monticola which looks suprisingly the same. I.e. brownish non-descript pitchers as far as I can tell.

I'm no taxonomist so I was wondering something like why is it that sp.Doorman's Top #2 still has no name and maybe what exactly delineates the difference between N.monticola and N.sp Doorman's Top #2. Could the real N.papuana please stand up?

Here's Sockhom's blog that has some of these new plants/reclassifications from a little while ago:
http://carnivorousockhom.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-nepenthes-stewart-mcphersons-new.html

Here's a picture of a puny pitcher on my N.sp.Doorman's Top #2 which has failed to thrive under my care over the course of 2-3 years. It has some strange environmental specifications that I can't figure out:

DSC_0005-8.jpg

DSC_0004-2-1.jpg

- Edit After checking AW's site and mksmith's post -

N. sp. DT#1 is actually N. lamii.
The former plants Labelled as N. lamii is N. monticola
N. sp. DT#2 is still probably N. papuana!

Last edited:
This is what I understand:

The plant previously sold as N. lamii is now described as N. monticola.

The plant previous sold as N. doorman's Top 1 has now described as N. lamii.

The plant sold as N. doorman's Top 2 is likely just N. papuana.

So your plant is likely just Nepenthes papuana, closely related to Nepenthes neoguineensis, and can be found at elevations of 0 to 1300 m so you should try it in lowland conditions.

This is what I understand:

The plant previously sold as N. lamii is now described as N. monticola.

The plant previous sold as N. doorman's Top 1 has now described as N. lamii.

The plant sold as N. doorman's Top 2 is likely just N. papuana.

So your plant is likely just Nepenthes papuana, closely related to Nepenthes neoguineensis, and can be found at elevations of 0 to 1300 m so you should try it in lowland conditions.

Yeah I'm growing it lowland now (well, clipeata-temps) now and it appears to have stopped trying to die, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's 'thriving'. I do think it's growing faster than hamiguitanensis though...

Back