Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Identify N. x Unidentified!

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two new leaves that opened up... They were both tinted that orangey-yellow-red color you see on the leaves here...

So it's not the light, it's genetics... Since most species don't have red/yellow/orange leaves, this should narrow it down a lot. Then it would be easier to pick based on how the uppers look. Any ideas?

The temperature got up to 92F yesterday and its lids didn't wilt like my boschiana (I) x mira (HL). It also didn't mind the one night it got down to 47F. So possibly it is a intermediate cross?

Steno x burb based on leaf color, possibly? Burb with reddish leaves...

I also noticed something that stenophylla doesn't have... The uppers on this plant have an slight hourglass shape, with that little curve in the middle. Not sure what species that could be linked to, probably a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, guess I never updated. Produced a 1/2" basal leaf, then a 2" one and now a 7" one. None of them look like they will produce pitchers. Might I add, it created the biggest leaf when put into 80-90F days and 70F nights in a terrarium for about a month. Perhaps it has lowlander in it?

I think the next basal leaf it produces will make a small pitcher. We'll see and I'll post pics then. Here it is in the opening shot of this video...

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ganam Style! Now that I look closer at the pictures, it does seem that the hybrid may be stenophylla X albomarginita but there's still a lot going on in the genes to determine if that's the original cross or if there's more species involved with it. A lower pitcher would certainly help out.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone thins it looks like maxima xx (stenophylla x lowii)? Just a guess...
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dueoka View Post
    Anyone thins it looks like maxima xx (stenophylla x lowii)? Just a guess...
    God, that would be awesome.

[IMG]http://**************************************/2012/06/max-lowii-sten01.jpg[/IMG]

Sadly, mine doesn't have that many stripes or that much color.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    God, that would be awesome.

[IMG]http://**************************************/2012/06/max-lowii-sten01.jpg[/IMG]

Sadly, mine doesn't have that many stripes or that much color.
    No, it isn't.
    In trying to ID a mature Nepenthes from upper pitchers only, you are venturing into very murky waters indeed. That plant could be any number of hybrids. When it presents some adult lower pitchers, you will have a better chance of guessing at its pedigree.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like one of Tony's glandulifera hybrids. The hairy spotted tendrils are a dead giveaway it's part glandulifera..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    looks like one of Tony's glandulifera hybrids. The hairy spotted tendrils are a dead giveaway it's part glandulifera..
    I'm afraid the spotting is some kind of tropical mold. It grows on the pitchers too, but doesn't seem to cause any issues. Not on the leaves or the vine though, just the pitchers and tendrils. It can be wiped off though.

Do you know the exact species in the hybrids so I can look them up on Google Images or CP Photo Finder and compare to my specimen?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast