What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify N. x Unidentified!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
This plant is a 24" or more vine. Just got it today. It's labeled "N. x Unidentified", so it needs to be ID'd. It only has two upper pitchers, no lowers... So it kinda sucks ID'ing it...

Fully colored upper...
fbylgn.jpg

Full vine...
34q9p5h.jpg

INFO: The stem is redish and greenish, but it may just be the lighting it was kept in. The new growth of the stem is green. The leaves are reddish on the top and greenish on the underside, but it may just be the light too. The STEM AND THE LEAVES are furry, not very, but they are slightly still. The underside of the lid on the upper pitchers is red, the top side of the lid is green. The bottom of the pitcher is green, the top is speckled red. The peristome is red-purple with dark red-purple stripes. If you need any more info, please ask me.

MY THOUGHTS: Maybe has some copelandii in it? It looked very similar in upper pitcher SHAPE when compared to N. x Rokko, the peristome was also similar as well as the leaf shape. This is my first plant with true uppers, so I have no clue what to make of it.

Any ideas help! Thanks in advance! :-D

Looks like a stenophylla or hybrid. I'd bet on pure steno though, as there aren't really many hybrids and the ones I could find on Cpphotofinder don't fit.

Looks like a stenophylla or hybrid. I'd bet on pure steno though, as there aren't really many hybrids and the ones I could find on Cpphotofinder don't fit.

It's a little more plump than a stenophylla. Also, the pitcher lid is fully colored and not speckled, and there's more speckled on the body, mostly on the upper part. So possibly a hybrid? Does look pretty similar to stenophylla.

maybe glandiflura?

maybe glandiflura?

Maybe glandulifera x stenophylla?

Just found this of a steno online and the shape actually does match...
nepensteno001.jpg

Does the lid and pitcher coloration vary from individual to individual? The non-speckled, solid-color lid is the only thing that doesn't match.

Yeah, I bet variation between seed grown plants would explain that. I really like how your plant has a "two tone" look to it.

Thanks! I'm glad I you guys figured out what it is. The ID seems pretty accurate. I'll stick an additional label into the pot tomorrow. If anyone has any additional ideas, please feel free to add them. Thanks again! :)

Does anyone have any info on the species stenophylla? Will it be okay in 40% humidity for a few hours each day as long as the humidity rises to 80-90% at night? Will watering it a bit more help its case?

Hi Guys,

I would very careful when giving out advice on the ID of an unknown plant.

Thats being said it does seem to resemble a plant I grow labeled Nepenthes x thorelii x Wittei
DSC_2694.JPG

If we know where the plant originated from that would help us track it down.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

It looks very stenophyllaish to me. Definitely is not glandulifera and has no influence of glandulifera in it.

Although it resembles Jeremiah's plant, I think it is mostly a superficial resemblance (IMO).

Ya...if it had some gland in it there would be more fuzz on it...where you got it from would certainly help out.

Ya...if it had some gland in it there would be more fuzz on it...where you got it from would certainly help out.

I can't say where I got it from, the site will filter it. :(

I would say stenophylla is really accurate actually. Like exact, despite the solid lid coloration.

In other news, it survived a 50F night yesterday and has survived through the 35% humidity during the day today. Just turned on the swamp cooler and it's doing its job at raising the humidity. I left the greenhouse door open all day. Showing no signs of stress or anything at all. I assume stenos are very hardy.

It's not pure N. stenophylla. The pitcher and leaves do not match the species correctly.

It's not pure N. stenophylla. The pitcher and leaves do not match the species correctly.

My thoughts exactly, I wonder if (this may be a long stretch) perhaps an hybrid involving albomarginata somewhere down the line? I only suggest it because of the whitish band it has around the peristome.

Great... So this could be a crazy hybrid like N. stenophylla x [(albomarginata x glandiflora) x (spectabilis x copelaniii)]... :crazy:

At least we know it has stenophylla in it...? ???

I'm saying there is no glandulifera in it whatsoever, it's not glandy enough or hairy enough, the leaf shape is all wrong, not to mention there are a very limited amount of glandulifera hybrids out there as far as I know albomarginata x glandulifera is not one of them.

I'm saying there is no glandulifera in it whatsoever, it's not glandy enough or hairy enough, the leaf shape is all wrong, not to mention there are a very limited amount of glandulifera hybrids out there as far as I know albomarginata x glandulifera is not one of them.

Oh... Well it was just an example. I mean, that's obviously not going to be the cross, just using that as an example to show how it could be a pretty complicated cross impossible to guess.

It's not exactly a white ring around the peristome, but the pitcher coloration does stop near the peristome and leave a ring around it. It's not noticeably white though.

The two new leaves that opened up... They were both tinted that orangey-yellow-red color you see on the leaves here...

34q9p5h.jpg

So it's not the light, it's genetics... Since most species don't have red/yellow/orange leaves, this should narrow it down a lot. Then it would be easier to pick based on how the uppers look. Any ideas?

The temperature got up to 92F yesterday and its lids didn't wilt like my boschiana (I) x mira (HL). It also didn't mind the one night it got down to 47F. So possibly it is a intermediate cross?

Steno x burb based on leaf color, possibly? Burb with reddish leaves...
burbidgeae.jpg

I also noticed something that stenophylla doesn't have... The uppers on this plant have an slight hourglass shape, with that little curve in the middle. Not sure what species that could be linked to, probably a lot.

Hm, guess I never updated. Produced a 1/2" basal leaf, then a 2" one and now a 7" one. None of them look like they will produce pitchers. Might I add, it created the biggest leaf when put into 80-90F days and 70F nights in a terrarium for about a month. Perhaps it has lowlander in it?

I think the next basal leaf it produces will make a small pitcher. We'll see and I'll post pics then. Here it is in the opening shot of this video...

Ganam Style! :lol: Now that I look closer at the pictures, it does seem that the hybrid may be stenophylla X albomarginita but there's still a lot going on in the genes to determine if that's the original cross or if there's more species involved with it. A lower pitcher would certainly help out.

Anyone thins it looks like maxima xx (stenophylla x lowii)? Just a guess... ???

Back