Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossing my fingers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The peristome expanded to the part which I love most-nearly flat against my hand:-

With flash:-

I'm quite happy with this!
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorgeous plant!
    Forgive my ignorance, but how does this differ from the N. veitchii "k" plants that are out there? It looks quite similar to my untrained eyes.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This clone isn't a "candy striped" from what is observed (still a very striped and wonderful clone) , but just to give you an idea heres what a candy striped looks like:

Photobucket

Yeah... very sought after and very striped. The k form is similar, but it just doesn't have the way more colorful appearance that this one has. Ill be getting a young one very soon so ill post pics of it and compare it to my veitchi k.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no such thing as candy striped. It's just a moniker given to any nepenthes that has heavy, very distinct stripes. You frequently hear it applied to various N. veitchii though. Implying it sort of looks like the stripes in a candy cane I guess...
    Stripes are a funny thing with N. veitchii though.. They are not very stable and can come and go and be more or less intense with each pitcher on the same plant. Environmental conditions, plant size, plant maturity, pitcher age etc. can all greatly affect the expression of the stripes from my experience. I would be careful about drawing any conclusions about a single plant or a group of seed grown plants based on a random online photo or 2 or 6.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True dat, I have had heavily striped pitchers on my typical veitchii and pitchers with no strips at all.

I believe that the veitchii referred to commonly as "candy striped" is the Bareo highlands form. It has round pitchers and strong striping on every pitcher.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do know how a 'candy stripe' veitchii is like. I was told this was the striped veitchii from the bario highlands which is a cutting. Right now, I won't judge it since this is it's first pitcher, but it has already pleased me as this is pretty much my first striped veitchii...

And I do agree with tony, even the TC veitchii pink from MT shows some variation in stripes though without that much stripes. EP's veitchii (k) are supposed to be seed grown from highland veitchii forms they bred and it's lineage could be similar or different from mine. Either ways I'm still happy with mine!

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

I have another small sized veitchii bario that's supposedly 'candy striped' but it's still too small to show any heavy striping though it has a stripe or two. It's origin is unknown to me.
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed heavy variation of striping just on my N. spectabilis x talangensis in relation to the light exposure and intensity.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A final shot shows the stripes darkening up....but it seems that some strong sunlight exposure (sunny day the past few days except yesterday) seems to have 'bleached' the pink colour of the pitcher body.

I'm happy with it. It may not be super red, it may not be ball shape or squat, but it sure is one sexy veitchii!

This is another supposedly veitchii bario 'candy striped' (we'll see) that is seed grown. It already shows a slight roundish pitcher and a small stripe (BTW, there's an ant crawling out of the pitcher, so the antennae is not a stripe). So I'm looking forward to this guy in the future.

Thanks for viewing!
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12