Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lack of N. Sanguinea pitchering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With me, humidity was never an issue with sanguinea.. I'd bet it is light... What direction is the window facing? What is your state of residence? If it is getting too hot in the window, that might cause some other issues...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's three years old, and has been in that window for two. It went through a period of prolific pitchering, and then predictably stopped in the winter. The window is south facing (no other available windows), USDA Zone 7/Texas. The fluorescent is on for varying periods of time as I don't have a timer, I turn it on when I wake up, and off when I go to sleep.

I just got a hygrometer/thermometer today, and as of 10 minutes ago, the temp at the windowpane was 77F with 35 percent humidity. I'll mist it more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I am not as qualified as some of the people that will post here, but I use the same stakes to prop up my neps too. I think that your plant looks fine to me and I don't really know if more humidity will make it pitcher more [edit: i think humidity helps keep pitchers around longer]. It looks like it just has climbing on its mind, because it has started going to the vine stage. When it does pitcher, they will be uppers.

You say that you have had it for 3 years. Have you repotted lately? Do it while you don't have to worry about killing a lot of nice pitchers.

I notice too that when my neps start to vine the tend to produce more off shoots that will make good looking lower pitchers once the vine stops climbing.

If you are worried about the light (which it should be good now that summer is almost here) get a clip light from the hardware store and a good high lumen high kelvin bulb. I have 2 bulbs in my window totaling 3000 lumens and it is about as bright as a real cloudy day, but the neps liked the extra juice.

Or just keep it watered and forget about it, it will work itself out, patience.

Hope this helps!
    ‘Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad – or an economist.’

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I repotted it 5 months ago or so from a much smaller pot. The stake I got within the last few weeks because it was flopping all over the place. The poor plant has had quite a tough life, but it's a survivor. It first had it's apical meristem and half of the rest of it eaten by my cat (why my cat thought it tasted good is beyond me), and then an accidental uprooting (it got caught in the blinds when I lifted them up). With the misting and extra light it seems to be growing faster, so we'll see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I think I've figured out the problem. There had been some red blotches and spots forming over the last few weeks on some of the leaves and the new growth. I had set a bowl of water next to the plant to increase the humidity, and yesterday morning it was filled with thrips. Sprayed plant with appropriate pesticide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, don't consider myself too qualified to comment but I will throw in my two cents anyway. I have a N. sanguinea that is doing very well in a west-facing window with low humidity so I think yours should probably be fine. N. sanguinea is supposed to be one of the more adaptable windowsill growers.

When my windowsill N. ventricosa started vining, it stopped pitchering too. I assumed this was because it was further from the gravel/water tray, meaning the humidity was lower. I took cuttings and produced several smaller plants which are now pitchering in low humidity again.

If you are desperate for pitchers and don't want to take cuttings yet you can try a trick I read about on another forum. I looked for the thread but can't find it to link to. Anyway, you can put a plastic bag around the pitcher bud with a little water in the bag to increase humidity. I did this with a N. splendiana I had at my windowsill that was not pitchering for several months. After I nursed along four or five pitchers with plastic bags, it started ptichering on its own with no extra help (though this also coincided with the seasonal change into spring which could be a factor). You may be able to try this to coach your N. sanguinea back into pitchering on its own.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12