User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 11

Thread: Haven't grown Nepenthes from seed yet.. [HELP]

  1. #1
    Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    1,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Haven't grown Nepenthes from seed yet.. [HELP]

    Hi y'all

    I've grown tons of Nepenthes over the years but never have grown any from seed... anyway I just got some interesting highland seed from South Africa and was wondering if I could get a little walkthrough of how to do it... what soil do you use? Do you put a plastic cover over the seeds? (I have a humidifier so I don't see why I should put one on). Anyways, heres some pics of the seeds... ( besides the runts), do any of these look viable? I don't know how to tell...

    Photobucket

    Id like to know what type of soil YOU use first so I can sow these guys ASAP with the best media blend.

    - Lance


    In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

  2. #2
    villosaholic Heli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with nep seeds but what seeds are those?

  3. #3
    BigBella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would help to know whether they were highland or lowland seed, for starts; and there are no real visual cues to suggest whether the seed is viable. If they appear intact, that's about it. The size of the seed is also immaterial; and I have had germination from the tiniest sources and complete duds from larger seed of the same batch.

    Germinating them is simplicity itself and many growers here have their own tried and true methods. I prefer a 1:1 peat / sand mix, since the tiny seed can get lost in live sphagnum and the seedlings, quickly overgrown. I avoid perlite in composts due to its salts, which can leach into composts; and can can be detrimental to seedlings.

    Thoroughly wet the compost and place the seed on the surface by gently pressing them, to ensure that they are in contact, though not buried. Seal the pot in a zip-lock bag and give diffused natural light or place directly under grow lights.

    Then practice patience and lots of it. Depending upon the freshness of the seed, germination can take three weeks to six months or more. The Nepenthes villosa seed, in a thread that was updated today, took about two months . . .

    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how.../Nepenthes.php
    Last edited by BigBella; 05-01-2012 at 09:56 PM.

  4. #4
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I did and have so far failed...

    I filled a ten gallon glass fish tank with finely chopped live sphagnum... Problem... The seeds don't stick flush because the surface is uneven, thus causing drying. Next, I put a light over the top and a lamp from the side to provide light and warmth. They keep it at 85F day and 65F night. I read a guide to germinating nep seeds that somebody with good success wrote. They said they germinate all neps, HL and LL, in LL conditions. I don't provide air circulation for my seeds... Not sure if that's a problem or not. They've been "germinating" and what not for to months... Still nothing. Don't do what I did!

    I read that some nep species need cooler and warmer temperatures with a pretty good swing to start germination. Not sure if there is science behind this, but it seems legit. Also, you should REALLY germinate them on 50/50 peat/perlite. They'll stick to the surface easier.

    From the looks of it, your greenhouse is the shizz (if I can recall the pictures correctly). I believe you also posted pictures of lots of nepenthes flowering in your greenhouse. That is where you should germinate them! I read that nepenthes need light to germinate, so if your greenhouse is good for growing neps, it should be perfect for seeds. I'm going to have to move my seeds out to the greenhouse in a few minutes.

    Apparently it takes time? I'm impatient, which is why I keep nepenthes (they grow faster than orchids and create pretty pitchers the whole year), so two months without germination to me feels like I have to give up hope in humanity.

    Good luck!

  5. #5
    Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    1,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    It would help to know whether they were highland or lowland seed, for starts; and there are no real visual cues to suggest whether the seed is viable. If they appear intact, that's about it. The size of the seed is also immaterial; and I have had germination from the tiniest sources and complete duds from larger seed of the same batch.

    Germinating them is simplicity itself and many growers here have their own tried and true methods. I prefer a 1:1 peat / sand mix, since the tiny seed can get lost in live sphagnum and the seedlings, quickly overgrown. I avoid perlite in coposts due to its salts, which leaches into composts; and can can be detrimental to seedlings.

    Thoroughly wet the compost and place the seed on the surface by gently pressing them, to ensure that they are in contact, though not buried. Seal the pot in a zip-lock bag and give diffused natural light or place directly under grow lights.

    Then practice patience and lots of it. Depending upon the freshness of the seed, germination can take three weeks to six months or more. The Nepenthes villosa seed, in a thread that was updated today, took about two months . . .



    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how.../Nepenthes.php

    Thanks! The seeds are highland BTW... Ive had some Nepenthes seeds that have just sat and sat for 2 and 1/2 months... They've been dyed brown by the peat mix but still no rots except with some mutants on the edges of the pack. Think they're still good? They were really fresh when I got them...

    ---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Here's what I did and have so far failed...

    I filled a ten gallon glass fish tank with finely chopped live sphagnum... Problem... The seeds don't stick flush because the surface is uneven, thus causing drying. Next, I put a light over the top and a lamp from the side to provide light and warmth. They keep it at 85F day and 65F night. I read a guide to germinating nep seeds that somebody with good success wrote. They said they germinate all neps, HL and LL, in LL conditions. I don't provide air circulation for my seeds... Not sure if that's a problem or not. They've been "germinating" and what not for to months... Still nothing. Don't do what I did!

    I read that some nep species need cooler and warmer temperatures with a pretty good swing to start germination. Not sure if there is science behind this, but it seems legit. Also, you should REALLY germinate them on 50/50 peat/perlite. They'll stick to the surface easier.

    From the looks of it, your greenhouse is the shizz (if I can recall the pictures correctly). I believe you also posted pictures of lots of nepenthes flowering in your greenhouse. That is where you should germinate them! I read that nepenthes need light to germinate, so if your greenhouse is good for growing neps, it should be perfect for seeds. I'm going to have to move my seeds out to the greenhouse in a few minutes.

    Apparently it takes time? I'm impatient, which is why I keep nepenthes (they grow faster than orchids and create pretty pitchers the whole year), so two months without germination to me feels like I have to give up hope in humanity.

    Good luck!
    Yeah... thats my highland chamber. Thanks for the advice!

    ---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    I have no experience with nep seeds but what seeds are those?

    (singlana X ventricosa) X tangalensis

    (singlana X ventricosa) X (lowii X ventricosa)

    and the one I hope to germinate at least a few : (singlana X vent) X truncata X (talangensis X carunculata)


    In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

  6. #6
    Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,911
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing highland nepenthes from seeds is easy! But you have to be patient, very very patient.
    This february i sow some nepenthes ramispina seeds and i got 2 germinations by the end of marsh.
    I grow my seed in 75% peat moss and 25% quartz sand.
    I use a terrarium for maximum humidity(100%).
    And i keep all this at 25C the day and 20C the night.

  7. #7
    sarracenia lover dionae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a lil success germinating nep seeds but i'm definitely not that experienced. I've used dry LFS and 50/50 peat/sand, same as big bella, and i've had okay germination on both media. I just kept the soil very moist and under very bright light. I still have nep seeds germinating from over 2 months ago so you'll have to be patient.

  8. #8
    Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    1,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... theres no seeds now . The chamber fell over and finding the seeds was nearly impossible... I only found 5


    In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •