Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LL Adaptable to HL?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LL Adaptable to HL?

Just looking for some names of LL's that are adaptable to HL conditions. Specifically 55F nights on average, 85F days on average. I have a greenhouse with a shelf full of highlanders, but I do like some lowlanders (bical, rafflesiana, ect.) and would like to give them a shot. I'm planning to set up a LL terrarium in the next few months, so if the LL's don't grow as fast as I would like, I can always stick them in the terrarium for the winter. Just curious which species would be the most adaptable.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... if something is called a lowlander, then it generally does not want to be grown as a highlander. It's kind of all in the name.

Things you're looking for are called intermediates, or highlanders.

They are sort of separate ideas.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. ampullaria and N. rafflesiana can do fine in HL, as they've done for me. I grow my N. rafflesiana in HL conditions with low humidity, but with higer humidity it will be even better. N. ampullaria I've found grows in a wide range of conditions but high humidity is a must.

N. campanulata can also grow in HL from what I've heard.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently grow 3 lowlanders, N. rafflesiana, bicalcarata, and mirabilis 'tiger'. I tried growing the raff and mirabilis in HL conditions and both grew, but neither liked it. Bical, I won't even try. They are all currently on my windowsill and much to my liking they are kinda liking it. My raff is starting to pitcher, the mirabilis I am slowly adjusting to lower humidity as it's still small, but it is pitchering profusely. My bical is relatively new and is adjusting to my windowsill. It is growing, so I am happy. Waiting to see if it pitchers for me. Just my experiences.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smilesii will do well in the temps you mention, as will the red form of albomarginata. gracillis might be worth a try as well.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any more suggestions guys? I'm into anything that is different or you can't find in a highlander, and I also love GIANT pitchers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Well... if something is called a lowlander, then it generally does not want to be grown as a highlander. It's kind of all in the name.

Things you're looking for are called intermediates, or highlanders.

They are sort of separate ideas.
    Yeah, I know, but there are some LL species I would like to give a try, and I've heard some do well in HL conditions. As I said, if it doesn't work out to my liking, I can stick them in a LL terrarium once set up.

Quote Originally Posted by carnivoure12 View Post
    N. ampullaria and N. rafflesiana can do fine in HL, as they've done for me. I grow my N. rafflesiana in HL conditions with low humidity, but with higer humidity it will be even better. N. ampullaria I've found grows in a wide range of conditions but high humidity is a must.

N. campanulata can also grow in HL from what I've heard.
    Rafflesiana is one of my favorite LL's, so I think I'll give that one a try. I've read a few accounts of it being adaptable to HL. I actually saw a picture of an amp (I believe it was an amp, either that or a bical) growing out in the snow and still alive! Pretty awesome. So if I can find an amp, I'll give it a shot. I really like campanulatas, so if I find one I may try that too.

Quote Originally Posted by dsrtfox1942 View Post
    I currently grow 3 lowlanders, N. rafflesiana, bicalcarata, and mirabilis 'tiger'. I tried growing the raff and mirabilis in HL conditions and both grew, but neither liked it. Bical, I won't even try. They are all currently on my windowsill and much to my liking they are kinda liking it. My raff is starting to pitcher, the mirabilis I am slowly adjusting to lower humidity as it's still small, but it is pitchering profusely. My bical is relatively new and is adjusting to my windowsill. It is growing, so I am happy. Waiting to see if it pitchers for me. Just my experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Smilesii will do well in the temps you mention, as will the red form of albomarginata. gracillis might be worth a try as well.
    If I find one you mentioned, I'll give it a shot! I'm really into the ones that you can't find anything like them in the HL selection, I think gracilis is pretty uniquely shaped with pretty much no peristome, so that will be first on my list of the ones you mentioned.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. bical will do good. The pitchers won't be as fat, but they don't get that big anyways.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    N. bical will do good. The pitchers won't be as fat, but they don't get that big anyways.
    iI'm not so sure about that.

My bicalcarata suffered greatly and mostly refused to pitcher when given HL temps. The pitchers it did produce had funky lid syndrome and were pretty homely.

Also, this:

Not the biggest Nepenthes there is, but certainly seems sort of heft to me!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast