Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complex Hybrids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complex Hybrids

Thought it would be fun to post a few pics. I was digging through the plants the past week and came across some things which I found interesting.
    The cross is N. ventricosa red x (ventricosa red x talangensis) (for anyone that is uncertain, a complex cross is simply a cross where at least one parent is a hybrid)
    Some interesting things can happen in complex hybrids because of the resorting of the chromosomes from the hybrid parent. If all the pitcher characteristics were carried on a single chromosome the results would be pretty predictable and simply one would end up with essentially a mix of N. ventricosa looking things and N. ventricosa x talangensis looking things. BUT since traits are carried on more than one chromosome and chromosomes are potentially able to swap pieces and do other weird stuff..... well... weird things can come out as you 'mix' traits from the various parents to varying degrees in each of the offspring. The more complex the hybrid the greater the potential for varied offspring.

So here is what the typical result was from the mentioned cross:
    About what you would expect. A bit more N. ventricosa like than N. ventricosa x talangensis, and uh more solid red with less talangensis speckling etc. Still somewhat squat though compared to pure N. ventricosa. Some of these can get very dark colored too..

What happens though when you have different characteristics 'highlighted' more?
    Here are 3 plants from the same cross that are outside the norm with one or more traits showing to a greater degree from the more typical result:
    Enjoy!

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Ignoring the body of the last pitcher and the coloration, the peristome and lid remind me of tenuis.
    --------
    z

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That last one is great! What a happy little mutant! (is this one of your personal plants or something that can be purchased?)

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is amazing!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, very cool display of genetic variability. Such a simple cross too, with a lovely outcome. I really like that second one, it's a beauty.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I think all the variations are great. I really like the "tubby" Nepenthes pitchers mostly. By the way, this is my first post Glad to be apart of the Terra Forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Dionae that second all red one is amazing! But that 3rd one just looks "morbidly obese" even for a small pitcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome mutants you have there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast