What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complex Hybrids

Thought it would be fun to post a few pics. I was digging through the plants the past week and came across some things which I found interesting.
The cross is N. ventricosa red x (ventricosa red x talangensis) (for anyone that is uncertain, a complex cross is simply a cross where at least one parent is a hybrid)
Some interesting things can happen in complex hybrids because of the resorting of the chromosomes from the hybrid parent. If all the pitcher characteristics were carried on a single chromosome the results would be pretty predictable and simply one would end up with essentially a mix of N. ventricosa looking things and N. ventricosa x talangensis looking things. BUT since traits are carried on more than one chromosome and chromosomes are potentially able to swap pieces and do other weird stuff..... well... weird things can come out as you 'mix' traits from the various parents to varying degrees in each of the offspring. The more complex the hybrid the greater the potential for varied offspring.

So here is what the typical result was from the mentioned cross:
About what you would expect. A bit more N. ventricosa like than N. ventricosa x talangensis, and uh more solid red with less talangensis speckling etc. Still somewhat squat though compared to pure N. ventricosa. Some of these can get very dark colored too..
NventredXventredxtalang1CR.jpg

What happens though when you have different characteristics 'highlighted' more?
Here are 3 plants from the same cross that are outside the norm with one or more traits showing to a greater degree from the more typical result:
Enjoy!
NventXXventXtalTub1.jpg

NventXXventXtalTub2.jpg

NventXXventXtalTub3.jpg

Very nice. Ignoring the body of the last pitcher and the coloration, the peristome and lid remind me of tenuis.

That last one is great! What a happy little mutant! (is this one of your personal plants or something that can be purchased?)

Paul

This one is amazing!

NventXXventXtalTub2.jpg

Wow, very cool display of genetic variability. Such a simple cross too, with a lovely outcome. I really like that second one, it's a beauty.

I think all the variations are great. I really like the "tubby" Nepenthes pitchers mostly. By the way, this is my first post :-)) Glad to be apart of the Terra Forum.

I agree with Dionae that second all red one is amazing! But that 3rd one just looks "morbidly obese" even for a small pitcher. :lol:

Awesome mutants you have there.

these pitchers are insane. they represent deformaties at their most (best? worst? most phallic?) this is bound to be a new named cross. congratulations

I'm with Eric and Josh. Love the second pitcher!!!

It is amazing the variation you can get in complex hybrids. When more and more hit you will start to see a lot more named clones.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Bob....those are not mutants. They are hybrids. Big difference.

Wow, I'm constantly in awe of the beauty nature can produce. And think, these are in somebody's cultivated collection. Imagine the possibilities out in the wild.

Very Nice tony, it is really amazing to see the variety amoungst these seedgrown plants.

Here's some variation amoungst two seedgrown N. ventricosa x ( Ventricosa x xTrusmandiensis) Even at a relatively young age.

DSC03008.jpg

DSC03035.jpg

OOH yay more photos! Thanks Carn12. Looking very nice.
Anyone else have photos of different individuals from any complex crosses feel free to add to the thread!

I like the reference to the last photo looking like something morbidly obese lol I will try to take a photo of the bottom. It's pretty neat how it looks like it was just plopped onto the tendril.

LOl the obese one looks like jungle bells.

Taht last one needs to be called Fat Albert

AHH Fat Albert would work too!
I was in the GH today and took a few more photos of mr. morbidly obese. Odd thing with this plant at least on the lower pitchers, the tendrils attach under the bottom of the pitcher in the center. 2 sets of 2 different pitchers than the previous page. So you can see how it isn't just a one off odd pitcher.

Enjoy!

older pitcher:
NventXXventXtalTubFA1.jpg

pitcher bottom:
NventXXventXtalTubFA1bot.jpg

pitcher 3..
NventXXventXtalTubFA2.jpg

bottom
NventXXventXtalTubFA2bot.jpg

that's a huge bottom!

I like it... all plump and such.

That last one looks like Mr Creosote :-O

Here are three siblings of N. ("thorelii"x trusmadiensis) x veitchii. They still have some growing to do though.

apr12hybrid3.JPG
apr12hybrid2b.JPG
apr12hybrid1.JPG

Regards,

Christer

Wow all the pics look so cool! Tony what cross is the morbidly obese with? Im guessing it has some N. sib. in it? Would love to have one with such fat characteristics ;).

Back