What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Miranda growing but not really pitchering.

I've owned this plant for nearly three months now and while it has put out a lot of new leaves with nice reddish hues, it has only produced one tiny new pitcher.

This plant remains outdoors and receives about six hours of sun a day. I lightly fertilize the plant once a month and I also placed the plant into a much bigger container with a mixture of peat, LFS, and perlite to help retain its moisture.

Any ideas of how I can improve its situation? Also, how hot is too hot for this Nep as far as summer temperatures? When should I consider moving it indoors?

Back in late February:
ivbv4h.jpg

Today:
33ok1gn.jpg

Only new pitcher so far:
8xpklv.jpg

It could be possible it's trying to acclimate to the humidity level, depending on where you are in Texas. I have a large N. miranda that I had in my mini greenhouse for most of its life, then took it out for a hanging basket in the living room. Humidity in Colorado is famously low, and it took 8 months for it to start pitchering again.
The fertilizer may be another thing. If the plant gets enough fertilizer in the soil or through the actual leaves, then it will be less inclined to make pitchers, as it already has its nutrients. Temperatures shouldn't be a problem for this one, as it's well known to brave temps from 45-95 degrees.

Just water it with distilled water to rinse out all the extra fertilizer. These stor bought nepenthes already are assualted with a lof of fertilizer when they're in the nurseries. When they recieve fertilizer, they will not pitcher as there is no need to spend energy on pitchers if you're getting them from the soil.

So stop the fertilizer would be my recommendation, and some neps also take a while to acclimitize, miranda should take low humidity fine. Maybe put it in ashadier area.

I live North of Dallas and the humidity here can be variable throughout the year but its been quite rainy and humid these past few months. Hasn't dropped below 40% since I've purchased it.

I'll definitely try cutting back on fertilizing the plant and look for a shadier location.

I only worry about its heat tolerance because summer daytime temps can reach over a 100 degrees for days at a time around here. Its not there yet but in a months time...

Definitely stop fertilizing the plant and flush it with copious clean water. One person's idea of "fertilizing lightly once a month" might be modest for many plants, but may be far too much for Nepenthes. Remember, these plants adapted tools for obtaining their nutrients from an environment where soil is nutrient deprived.

Last edited:
mine started pitching when I raised the humidity so thats probably what needs to be done.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing and give it time. When I got mine, it took a year to start pitchering even though it was growing great. But once it started, it kept it going and did it wonderfully. For temps, mine was up in the rafters of my greenhouse, under a shade cloth... I don't know the temps, but surely it was warmer than the 85ish I kept that greenhouse at. Here it is shortly after it started pitchering in my care...

nxmiranda.jpg

And when it was making uppers also...

mirandaupper1.JPG

I love that plant. :)

I also say go easy on the fertilizer and just give it time.

The bigger concern is going to be how much night temps drop, moreso than how hot the days get. If night temps don't consistently drop below 60F, you will see pitchering stop and other signs of stress.
If I'm not mistaken, N. miranda is a lowland/intermediate hybrid, and as such doesn't require nighttime temperature drops; mine has been growing in lowland conditions for 2 years and is extremely happy.

That is true, N. Miranda is a very heat-tolerant plant, hence why it makes such a great houseplant. My N. Miranda has never experienced temps below 65 in its life.

That's quite a Miranda you got there, Andrew!

I wonder where you got it from? ;)

Good to see it is doing well.

Definitely stop fertilizing the plant and flush it with copious clean water. One person's idea of "fertilizing lightly once a month" might be modest for many plants, but may be far too much for Nepenthes. Remember, these plants adapted tools for obtaining their nutrients from an environment where soil is nutrient deprived.

Well, I don't think it's too much. I put a dropper full of orchid fertilizer in a gallon of water and drench the media, and then a week later I flush it out with RO water. From what I've read in The Savage Garden, a light fertilization can be beneficial for the plant.

That's an awesome looking N. Miranda, adnedarn. It's nice to know that this acclimation process seems to be normal. I hope mine will eventually look like that!

Just for future reference, what are some other types of Nepenthes that are hardy like N. Miranda and good for beginners?

I started with N.Maxima and still have it

haha eplants! that was an old picture, it's been chopped up MANY times over the years :p is a much smaller plant right now, I trimmed it before my last move to our new house. But again, it delayed with the move, and is now back to pitchering.

I had the same problem with my miranda and then i thought about it and the problem was obvious, too many growth points about 15-18 so i chopped of at least 11 and now its started pitchering immediately

Back